The Sewing Place

Bernina 1260 Quilters Platinum Edition

KayK

Bernina 1260 Quilters Platinum Edition
« on: November 19, 2018, 22:00:08 PM »
WOOOOO!  I have 'won' a Bernina 1260 Quilters Platinum Edition from Flea Bay - It has arrived and I have given it a good clean and spent most of the evening playing with it!  I have never had such a quiet, smooth machine in my life!  I thought my Singer 201 was good, but this is its equal.  I have always hankered after a 'Swiss Made' Bernina, and never been able to afford one.......but this one was such a bargain!  Got a few projects to do, so almost looking forward to it being a rainy day tomorrow to play more!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Renegade Sewist

Re: Bernina 1260 Quilters Platinum Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 04:41:21 AM »
Well @KayK  congratulations  :toast: on getting your dream machine. It makes sewing more fun, doesn't it?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
PICS!!! Please Pics!!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
Oooh fabulous, @KayK   !! I have one of those too, I love her to bits  <3 <3.  I did 'replace' her earlier this year with a more up to date model but I still pull out  my trusty 1260 if there's any tough sewing to be done, she just chomps her way through the thickest, trickiest fabrics without a second glance.

Have fun with yours !!  :sew: :sew:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 14:08:50 PM »
Well done, they do sew beautifully, don't they? 
I googled for pictures - what a lot of stitches!  You are going to have fun.  :)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 15:43:23 PM »
Lovely-looking machine, great find!

KayK

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 19:10:46 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Some pics were mentioned!  Here they are!    
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:10:26 AM by Iminei »
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

KayK

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 19:14:44 PM »
And I have no idea why they ended up that way round!

Celia

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 19:21:41 PM »
Kayak these are wonderful machines, I have always thought the 1260 is one of the most appealing of the older Bernina and I have never managed to get one, this is probably good as I already have toooo many manchines.  Just wish I had more room

KayK

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 17:52:35 PM »
Oh sorry to keep banging on about this machine!  I have managed to have a serious play with it today (the sort of play where you work through the manual - after you have already had a go with it!) I have never been a fan of buttonholes but oh boy! This is something different - both keyhole and standard are beautifully neat, and the automatic buttonholer with the weird foot is incredible.  Had a go free motion quilting - not as good as the Juki, and the only thing that doesn't appear to work is the long stitch and the basting stitch!  I get a fairly long stitch , but not as long as it should be - any ideas anyone?

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 20:19:57 PM »
Welcome to the Bernina's Club - Bernina's are lovely machines as you are finding out.

Well done on the buttonholes, now have you tried corded buttonholes on this Bernina, I first found these on my mother's Bernina 830 Record machine (1975) and the instructions are really easy to follow, and the finish of these corded buttonholes are just superb - so do try them and see what you think.

Have fun exploring all that this machine can do.

arrow

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 22:16:11 PM »
By 1990s the so called called lubraction free machines, or at a least with minimal lubrication and maintanance. It means DIY maintanance is a bit more cumbersome, mostly to get the casing off.  I think replacement circuit boards are available for this model, they even have them repaired. I guess they are worth it, people still hand them in for service and repair.

KayK

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 19:55:24 PM »
I knew it! The kiss of death has been blown upon the Bernina!  There was I merrily singing its praises, and today, the needle arm won't go up and down .......grrr......upon turning the handwheel.......nowt!  I have seen how difficult on you tube it is to take it to bits, so I shan't be bothering!  It will be going to good old Steve at Kings Lynn for a sort out!  Rats!!!

KayK

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 13:25:11 PM »
Well, Bernina came back from Steve at Kings Lynn, last Friday, working beautifully, tacking stitch and long stitch working perfectly.  So pleased with it...until......Sunday afternoon when I thought I would carry on making a little felt coat......and no, the wretched needle bar wouldn't go down again!  I think it is something to do with the tacking stitch mechanism, but have taken it back to the collection point again, where it will be winging its way back to King's Lynn today!  Fingers crossed  its an easy fix.......Such a shame, its a lovely machine and I had ordered some more feet for it before it went wrong again!  (feeling a bit of an idiot I have to say).

Celia

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 14:11:58 PM »
So sorry to hear this, hope it is sorted soon