The Sewing Place

Threadcount 1604

SeeDesignMake

Threadcount 1604
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
My quest for a well-fitting pair of trousers for work has been going on for years! Generally I wear skirts and dresses to the office, but the winter in the North East of England gets very cold and wet so on those days my legs need a bit more protection than a pair of tights. Initially, I looked on the high street but I really struggled. Those from brands like Topshop and River Island were way too small. In H&M I tried on at least 7 pairs in a range of sizes and found that everything was either unflattering or didn’t fit.

This ordeal made me feel pretty deflated.  Therefore, I decided that I had to get over me fears and make my own. I used the Threadcount 1604 pattern.

I had to make a few adjustments to the pattern after making a toile as they were a bit baggy and were too high waisted.

For my first pair of trousers I am quite pleased with myself. They are still perhaps a touch big around the waist. However, they seem to fit quite well around my bum, as it doesn’t look saggy. I have also managed to taper in the leg so they don’t swamp me.

The main issue I have is that the tab on the waistband looks very untidy. It doesn’t seem to seem to sit straight and looks a bit wonky. I am not too sure what went wrong, so any advice would be appreciated.

I have already started to wear these trousers to work and I find them quite comfortable and I would definitely make them again using the adjustments I made to the pattern.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Threadcount 1604
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
They look a good fit! Well done! 
As for the waistband, have a look at how it sits when it's undone, that may shed some light on it's wrinkle?

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 13:11:23 PM »
It’s difficult to see exactly where the problem is with the tab on the body @SeeDesignMake. Try to put is flat on the table with the zipper closed and pull the tab to the side seam until the front lies flat. It looks to me as if the closure (hook?) is not correctly positioned.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 16:48:57 PM »
I agree, ot looks as though the hook and bar (or whatever fastening) are not quite in the right alignment to each other.   If you do as Manuela suggests and lay them flat on the table you should be able to see the discrepancy and thus where to move the bar to (probably easier to move the bar than the hook.  Assuming that you need to pull it a bit tighter that could also sort out the waistband being a bit big.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 22:07:24 PM »
I always do a 2 piece, slightly curved waistband with a centre back seam for trousers.  I find that much easier to get a nice fit round the waist without any gaps at the top.
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 23:10:01 PM »
I've heard Threadcount are reprints of one of the Big 4 (maybe Mccall's) though not sure which one this is from.

Trousers are incredibly frustrating for me too, (though I found some passable ones in Debenhams, Maine new England Pablo style) so interesting to see these made up as I also have the same pattern.
I have found Burda trousers to be a good starting point as they seem to accommodate a larger derriere, which I need!

Missie

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 14:28:11 PM »
Ok, firstly they look a really good fit, especially round your bum, so well done (and I love the fabric!).  Now re the front, the trousers are not sitting straight on you and are sloping, in both photos actually.  Straighten them up and check but if it doesn't make a difference, my first inclination is that the fastening bar is not far enough over, meaning that the fabric will bunch up underneath it.  I would move the bar further to the right (as you are looking at it) a tad and make sure that it is straight as well (just in case it has slipped when you are sewing it). 

SeeDesignMake

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »
Thanks all for your tips and advice. I will have a look at it this weekend and see if moving the hook and bar helps.