The Sewing Place

Mondrian Dress

Sandra

Mondrian Dress
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
Y'know when you get an idea, and you can't step away from it?

I decided I needed to make a Mondrian dress for my daughter's old Lilydolls I mentioned recently.

I used a simple, high neck dress out of the dolls' wardrobe, for a pattern.

A lot easier to assemble than the one Manuela made.  0_0
Just cut the colour blocks and hide the seams under the black ribbon.  :)

Cute...or what?

I lined the dress with white cotton. It made the inside so much nicer and hid all the awful, messy seams. I bodged the back fastening with some velcro....could have been neater, but...y'know. It's for a doll.

Sandra.
xxx

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Mondrian Dress
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
Super dress.  Interesting doll, did you make it?

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
This is so cute, love it  :loveit:

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
Interesting doll, did you make it?

No. They're made by Manhattan Toys...who also do/did 'Groovy Girl' dolls. They brought a range of them out when my daughter was very young and we bought a few of them.
I loved the clothes they wore.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 15:22:46 PM »
Wow, @Sandra  that's fantastic!  She looks so cool sitting there in her snazzy dress.  xx

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 16:39:53 PM »
That's great.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 18:14:23 PM »
Fabulous @Sandra .
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sdBev

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 00:57:04 AM »
Kudos, that is so creative!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 01:47:05 AM »
Love how you did it. It looks terrific. Also got a kick out of her platform sandals. I went online to look at some other Lily dolls and I just love those large feet.  <3 Velcro is good. It's what's commonly used to fasten the tops and dresses for the 18" dolls.

You are so trendy! Last weeks Friday Freebie at Pixie Faire was this color blocked dress, which had made me think of some of the dresses Manuela has made. This season all the fashionable dolls will be wearing color blocked dresses.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
Love the Mod dress, but I love the boots even more.  <3  0_0

I've found a lot of those Pixie Fayre patterns for the American Girl doll on etsy. They have some gorgeous designs, don't they? A motorcycle jacket! Denim jacket...pleated skirts...just fab.
There's the most gorgeous designed jacket with a shawl collar...'Circles Around Jacket'. It's beautiful.

Pity the sizing is a couple of inches too tall for the Lilydolls. I'm very tempted to try one...just to see how far off they are.
Any idea what the measurements are on an American Girl doll? I reckon they're probably a couple of inches, or more, wider around the body too.

Sandra.
xxx

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »
@Sandra that's wonderful.

You have so much more scope on those bigger dolls, slightly less fiddly than Barbies.

BayCreekGal

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 14:41:04 PM »
Your dress turned out so cute.  My sister had one of those Mondrian dresses in the mid sixties when she was about four.  She looked adorable in it.