The Sewing Place

"Correct" way to square up curtains?

sewingj

"Correct" way to square up curtains?
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »
I`m currently making this into curtains for my daughter
https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/products/farmyard-curtain-fabric-pastel

As is often the case with curtain fabric, the pattern isn`t dead square so  I have ended up with the design not running exactly straight across the bottom edge (I`m not describing this very well!)

Fortunately this time it is not too far out and I`m hoping daughter won`t notice but I have had worse problems in the past.  So I`d like to know what the correct method is.  Surely if you cut the fabric so that the pattern is square you run the risk of the whole curtain not hanging right?

Greybird

Re: "Correct" way to square up curtains?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »
It's always a dilemma and I'm not sure what the "correct" answer is. Personally I always pull a thread to make sure the fabric is square because I think the most important thing is that the curtains hang right. I think if the pattern is that "off" the fabric should be sold as seconds. If you buy it as seconds at least you have the opportunity to look and see what's wrong with it before buying - if it isn't I think you have grounds for taking it back.

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 15:48:20 PM »
  Surely if you cut the fabric so that the pattern is square you run the risk of the whole curtain not hanging right?

I made this mistake with the curtains I made for my granddaughter's room. The fabric my daughter chose had large circles arranged in rows. I cut to follow the print and tried to pull the fabric back into square, but they are obviously hanging lopsided.  I would have hated looking at them just as much if I had cut the fabric square and the design wonky. I should have had her choose a different fabric.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 15:59:40 PM »
If the fabric is is patterned you have to cut with the pattern, but I agree with WendyW that that can make the curtains hank wonkily. 

Ideally look at the fabric on the bolt.  If the end is cut with the printed pattern assess how far from true that cut end is, or if it's not cut with the pattern fold it back so that it is and then assess.  If it's more than about an inch out across the width reject it and choose something else.

I know that curtain fabric can be horribly expensive, but I suspect that, in general, the more expensive fabrics will be better printed than budget fabrics.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 16:11:04 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 16:00:22 PM »
Awkward one isn't it?   I only had a problem once with some curtaining in a printed check which I was using on the top as a border.  That was definitely off and I had to cut it with the pattern and ignore  the grain or it would have  looked odd. Luckily, being a small amount wasn't a problem. 
I now have a rule I follow and NEVER buy striped or checked fabric that is printed.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 16:47:24 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a local fabric shop where I could check the pattern before I buy - we do have a good curtain shop but most of the fabric is in sample books rather than on the roll.
I must admit that when I ordered this fabric it didn't occur to me that a design with large squares might not be a good idea!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 02:16:50 AM »
I would ignore it. You want the curtains to hang nicely. Unless the fabric is being turned into flat panels that lay flat any small amount of variance will go unnoticed. Most people don't stare at a curtain to be certain everything is plumb. If you've got gathers or pleats it'll be fine. I had some that the design was off but hung really well that my Mom made and the only time you noticed was when I had them down for cleaning and a bit of a press. Flat on the ironing board it showed but not hung.

Besides, look at the pattern. The horizontal lines are not all in the same place. Just sew them nicely and don't worry about it.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 22:24:02 PM »
I'm with Greybird on this one