The Sewing Place

Janome 2000CPX

Snippet

Janome 2000CPX
« on: March 31, 2017, 15:16:54 PM »
Oops, I seem to have bought another machine!  :angel:

It's an ex demo from the lovely folk at Sewing Machines Direct for £379 - which seemed like a pretty good price to me  :)

It's being delivered to work on Monday - hope it comes late in the day so that I don't have to sit looking at the box all day when I'm supposed to be working!

maliw

Re: Janome 2000CPX
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 15:29:11 PM »
Lurvely, I got one last October from SMD. Unfortunately I've had problems not being able to get a finish that looks flat , I've got to start again and make sure I haven't altered one of the settings without realising, just need the time to play. The tunneling was on quite a thin stretch knit so it was probably just wrong settings. I do like the machine though, enjoy yours when it comes.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 16:44:47 PM »
Coverstitchingis a steep learning curve that I am still climbing ;) but when I get it right which is much more frequent now, it's great

If you do Facebook, there is a group on there that I have found  very helpful, it's Coverstitch/Coverlock. lots of useful pointers if you have a browse.

I got the Janome1000 as an exdemo from SMD and I can't fault it.

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 18:36:00 PM »
... I've had problems not being able to get a finish that looks flat . . . The tunneling was on quite a thin stretch knit . . .
Recommend stabilising knits before stitching every time (plus stabilising gives a great finish).  Cut  strips of a lightweight fusible stretch interfacing (it works on stretch and wovens).

Saves sooooooooo much time (and frustration) by reducing the amount of time and effort spent on testing stitch settings and sampling

maliw

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 19:47:52 PM »
Thanks Morgan, I stabilise the neck with 1/4 inch iron on interfacing but I hadn't thought to stabilise the hem. Will give it a go the next time I make a top.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 20:06:46 PM »

I got the Janome1000 as an exdemo from SMD and I can't fault it.

I got an Elna 444 (which is a rebadged Janome 1000) ex demo from SMD and I'm happy with it.

Yes, stabilising helps, and it doesn't like cheap cones of overlocking thread.
It would stitch OK with the cones, but I had a lot of trouble trying to fathom out how to lock-off and it just wouldn't work until I changed to a decent thread.   

That does make sense as locking-off is just pulling the two needle threads to the top, so the smoother those threads the easier they will pull through.

I also bought the Craftsy course on overstitching when it was on offer.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Snippet

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 20:40:01 PM »
I also bought the Craftsy course on overstitching when it was on offer.

Is that the course with Gail Yellen? It's currently on offer for £24.62 - not sure how much of a bargain that is though  -<

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 20:49:44 PM »
I wasn't impressed with the Craftsy course, I'd want it for less than that.  It didn't have a great content, all the basics can be found elsewhere and a lot of the stuff it covered, making tassels for example only worked with the high end machines,

Some of the things she showed were not covered.  She showed a decorative finish using the looper stitches on top but when she demonstrated the technique she had the ordinary stitching lines on show, much easier to do.

As Morgan said, stabilise everything and you get much better results.

Snippet

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 20:55:48 PM »
Thanks Ellabella  :flower:

I'll stick to TSP and YouTube for help in that case!

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »
As a very newbie to the cover stitcher it showed me the basics, but once you've got that it is quite basic.  If you are looking for creative use rather than just hems on jersey fabric Creative Serging by Nancy Bednar & Anne van der Kley offers a lot more ideas. 

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
I really like my coverstitch but it was a lesson in patience and perseverance....the FB group is helpful
https://www.facebook.com/groups/202758313403450/?ref=bookmarks

Snippet

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »
OK, now you're scaring me!

I was expecting a bit of a learning curve, but I'm getting the idea that it might be quite a steep one  :D

Is it more challenging than learning to use an overlocker? What's going to raise my blood pressure?!

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 13:19:07 PM »
Not as scary as an overlocker IMO, no scary knives jumping up and down.

You just need to play with threads and tension a bit.

Mine is not too fussy about the needle threads but does like something with a bit of give in the looped and a low looper tension.

The only really troublesome thing I found was finishing off when hemming in the round, you can't pull the work away from the machine like you can on a sewing machine. You have to raise the needles, lift the pressure foot and pull the top threads forward from underneath the PF. You then clip the threads and pull the work out backwards, the needle threads should be pulled to the back of the work for fastening off.  I still can get a bit of tunnelling at this point, must work on that.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 13:36:10 PM »
I got this last year and I am really impressed with it.  So far the only thing I can find fault on is the length of the stitch, doesn't seem long enough even though I have it set at 3.  I made a load of tops last year  and the only bummer I had was on the fabric pattern, I kept it but now  going in the Yorkshire Air Ambulance bag.

As they've all worked out so well I've gone for some expensive Art Gallery jersey from Minerva. It will have to something very special before I buy a RTW again.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Snippet

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »
Did someone mention a learning curve?  -<

Actually, if you've already been on the journey with an overlocker then it's not too bad. Just like an overlocker, all you have to do is get the tensions, stitch length, diff setting and threading right - after that it's a breeze!! But at least there's no blade worry about, and it's a lot easier to unpick than an overlocker seam.

Something I hadn't considered is that the tension settings for each needle might need to be different, because one needle is going through a single layer of fabric whilst the other needle(s) are going through 2 layers.

The machine is lovely, easy to thread and easy to use. I was surprised that there is no seam guide on the bed of the machine, so if the hem is wider than the width of the foot it's really hard to keep it even. I tried a using a post it note to mark a line which sort of works OK, but then I bought an adjustable seam guide which attaches to the back of the foot and that makes it much easier to follow.

My next purchase will probably be a clear foot which should really be the standard foot on a machine like this - when you're stitching in the round it's soooo difficult to join up neatly to where you started if you can't see the stitches cos they're under the foot  :angry:

I've also had some issues with fabric bunching up under the back of the foot, but I'm not sure why it does that or how to resolve it. It's almost like the foot is longer than it needs to be?

My next job is sewing the hem on my new dress https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-dress-burda-pattern-6562

It took a whole evening before I was happy with the hems on the sleeves, so the hem on the skirt is probably going to take all weekend!