The Sewing Place

Helpl with shoulder pads please

sewingj

Helpl with shoulder pads please
« on: November 22, 2018, 16:19:59 PM »
I have no experience with shoulder pads but am about to make this jacket

https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k4225

The notions specify one pair of 1/2inch (1.3cm) shoulder pads

I`m not really sure what I`m looking for and would appreciate any advice.  I`m reliant on internet suppliers I`m afraid

Acorn

Re: Helpl with shoulder pads please
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 17:10:43 PM »
I bought the shoulder pads for my pink and black coat from Tailor Mouse.  They were very efficient, and the shoulder pads were very good.  They don't give the depth of them on the website, but I used medium ones, and they look good - enough to give a bit of shape, but not to shout out 'shoulder pads' like they did in the 1980s.

I will use exactly the same ones when I do my next coat.  In fact I'd better get them ordered.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 17:48:46 PM »
Yes that's a nice jacket/coat @sewingj. You can certainly buy shoulder pads as @Acorn suggests, especially if you want a bit more formal definition as it were, in the shoulders. It is relatively easy to make shoulder pads though and I see that there are several tutorials on t'interweb so it might be an idea to take a look to see if home made ones would suit.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 18:31:52 PM »
You're looking for something shaped somewhat like this one. This is a rounded version, in that the edge is soft. There are also ones with sharp cut edges there. This one is 3/8" and is sold by Sarah Veblen. She features this thickness for jackets.

Depending on your shoulder slope 1/2" may not be right for you. I've got "coat hanger" shoulders, not narrow, not very sloped. I used to remove the shoulder pads from my jackets, especially in the late 80's, and replace them with thinner ones so the jackets hung properly on me but still had nice shaping for the sleeve to hang from. They are easy enough to make. If you make your own you can more easily determine what thickness is right for you.

Nice pattern BTW.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 22:42:16 PM »
I have used these:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-LADIES-SHOULDER-PADS-4-JACKETS-SUITS-CONSTRUCTED-WASHABLE-SEW-IN-TAILORING/192565226690?hash=item2cd5c82cc2:g:2vIAAMXQC-tTGGsm:rk:14:pf:0

from MAGGIESFABFABRICS, an Ebay shop. I cover them with either the main fabric or lining fabric. They need to fit from about 1cm from the neck edge and go beyond the shoulder seam into the sleeve area by about 1cm - 1.5cm. You can trim them a little bit to fit. I think she also has them in darker colors.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 01:19:53 AM »
Greybird's suggestion looks like an excellent choice.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
If you have an old padded bra, then the padding can be used as the basis of a shoulder pad - or pads, as they also come in pairs...

That tip came from someone who is a proper dressmaker by the way, that is to say it's not originally from me!

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
Thanks everyone.  As a newcomer to shoulder pads I`ve decided against making my own this time and am going to get the ones suggested by Greybird - mainly  because they are a wee bit cheaper than the ones recommended by Acorn!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
Embarrassed to say I have a little pile of shoulder pads cut from old blouses - never a good look on me. Mean, or you could say I'm saving the environment  :angel:.
Must see if they are the right size for my coat.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 13:00:15 PM »
I made this coat 3mths ago and bought my shoulder pads sew in from https://jaycotts.co.uk collections/shoulder-pads
I am not very good with computers I know the basics so I can only type the site sorry.

The pads are £2.49 pp£1.50 2

(Edited to correct the link - it's jaycotts plural, and https.  Just typing the link is fine. - Acorn)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 13:12:02 PM by Acorn »

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 13:08:46 PM »
@Greybird    I ended up buying these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREY-SHOULDER-PADS-4-JACKETS-SUITS-CONSTRUCTED-SEW-IN-TAILORING-FELT-FOAM/202338938358?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

from Maggie.  I thought they would be the same as the white ones but in fact I think they might be a bit different.  They aren`t symetrical - one side is longer and narrower than the other.  Do you know which side should be going over the back of the shoulder?

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 13:14:42 PM »
I would say the long one. It's probably because if it was too long in the front it might bend upwards?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 21:11:51 PM »

Esme866

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 22:02:50 PM »
@toileandtrouble

Thanks for posting that pic. I love to study photos of yet to be constructed tailored garments.

But on close inspection, did anyone else find the pictured coat more that a bit odd?

The lapel tapes appear to be functioning as a finished edge. Look at the ends of the collar, there is a seam allowance, but then the tape will be in the wrong spot. There is no SA for the lapel and it already has a worked buttonhole - on one side only.

Would someone actually go through this much work just to "pretty up" a sample for such an obscure photo shoot?

Very weird.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 22:42:37 PM »
To be honest, I never looked at the pictures, just the info on shoulder pads.  I agree though, it seems odd.