The Sewing Place

Eyelets

Catllar

Eyelets
« on: November 23, 2018, 20:14:00 PM »
Self explanatory really! I have to put eyelets in some corset belts I've made and never done it before so what gizmo do I need please?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

StitchinTime

Re: Eyelets
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 20:59:30 PM »
When I did a corset class a good few years ago I got the Prym Vario Pliers on the tutor’s recommendation. They have been great not only for setting eyelets, but also for setting different types of snaps.

The tutor preferred to make the hole for the eyelet with a stiletto, but you can get punching inserts for the pliers which cut neat small holes.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 21:04:20 PM »
Depends on the eyelet type. Two part ones usually come with a little device you hit with a hammer. Or they sell it separately depending on how bought. Old fashioned ones that are one piece with the little prongs that splay out on the back are installed with a plier type device. Cloth belts back in the 60's used to have this type. I have never used up all the ones my Mom had when I first saw the thing at 5 years old.

The two part ones would be a nicer finish on a corset.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 21:05:00 PM »
When I did a corset class a good few years ago I got the Prym Vario Pliers on the tutor’s recommendation. They have been great not only for setting eyelets, but also for setting different types of snaps.

The tutor preferred to make the hole for the eyelet with a stiletto, but you can get punching inserts for the pliers which cut neat small holes.

Just looked that up. Thanks. One more gadget to buy.  ;)

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 23:36:58 PM »
If you make corsets a lot, or need to do a lot of grommets, then a professional table top grommet press is easier and better then the hand helds.  I don't have enough hand strength for the pliers, and used the mallet and die set system for a long time before I got a machine.

This is a US site, but it gives an idea and they sell them on ebay.  Often you can get kits with it with dies and grommets.  They're expensive to set up as such, but do save a lot of time.  Plus they can do rivets, nipples and rhinestones with the right die.  (It's $40 for the shipping, total would be 85.78 GBP with one die set if you're wondering).

https://goldstartool.com/heavy-duty-press-for-grommets-snaps-buttons-rivets-die-set.html

I have a foot press machine from here, but I use a lot of the things in sewing.  If I made more jeans or corsets in my business, I'd upgrade to the electric. 

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
Thank you. I'll have a look at all the possibilities. Just got 45 eyelets to do for these costumes.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 13:49:03 PM »
Just ordered the Prym. Seems sufficient for me at the moment, together with a load of eyelets. Now just have to see how long it'll take  to get here, bearing in mind that France is being held to ransom by the road blockades.  Again, thanks for the advice people!

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 21:29:51 PM »
So the gizmo arrived today!  I need to investigate how works - looks a bit complicated so I'll have a look at You tube  tomorrow.

crafter

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 01:03:55 AM »

Since when did an awl become of stiletto?  Am I getting old? Is an awl and old word that it not used any more.  I have seen stiletto mentioned a few times in sewing, used exactly what I use an awl for.  Which I have had for nearly 50 years.

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 02:33:12 AM »
Since when did an awl become of stiletto?  Am I getting old? Is an awl and old word that it not used any more.  I have seen stiletto mentioned a few times in sewing, used exactly what I use an awl for.  Which I have had for nearly 50 years.

It's a term that's interchangeable, a lot I think depends on where you are, when you learned the term and what you bought.  Or personal preference.

Saying that, I have an awl...as one does and it's got the wider base and knob handle.  I also have an antique stiletto and the bone handle is narrow, the needle in metal and the whole of the blade (for lack of a better term) is uniform in size and small.  Small enough I can pick stitches with it in silk if I needed to.  PLUS I can sharpen it which I can't with the modern one.  This is the difference, to me.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »
@crafter both terms are used, sometimes both are used on the same package. Like Kwaaked I have both awls and stilettos. I collect vintage sewing tools, since I was a kid really, and to me there is a difference. Awls tend to taper from the point and the shaft can get rather big. This is useful when you need to force a larger opening as you just keep easing it into the fabric or leather til you get the opening you want. My stilettos, I have a bunch, are pointy but then most of the shaft is the same diameter the rest of the way up and tends to be longer than on an awl. I have different diameters of stiletto. It's useful if you're needing to replicate the size of an opening, like in some heirloom stuff or a bunch of eyelets on one garment. The tapered shaft of an awl can make uniformity harder to do. Stiletto's are also useful to guide fabric under the presser foot. It's handy for me to flip the 1/4" quilting seams the right way.

My favorite awl is a Victorian one made from ivory. Or, more likely bone, but I like thinking of it as ivory.  8)

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 09:46:28 AM »
HELP!! before I chuck the thing! I've looked at videos till my eyes have crossed and I haven't found the secret yet! 

Starting from the beginning: There are 2 sets of little red washer-y things - one set in the pliers and a second set. What for and how do you get them out ?

then I have  a metal bit with a point ( hole maker?)

then I have a double ended piece of metal solid both ends and  differing diameters -

then I have another metal fitting  with differing diameters but hollow both ends.

Then the largish white plastic circle and a small translucent rubber thing.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   Finally there is the gizmo for removing bits ( got that one sussed) I await words of wisdom please, and am now going away to breathe and have cup of tea!

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 10:00:04 AM »
The metal bit with the point is used in conjunction with the hollow metal bit for making holes.
I can't remember what the other bits are used for, but I will try to find my set when I am at home this evening and see if I have comparable bits.

StitchinTime

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
The white plastic bit, the clear plastic bit and the solid metal bit appear to be the kit required for setting plastic colour snaps.
https://www.prym.com/en/colour-snaps-tool-set-673115

StitchinTime

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 10:07:31 AM »
Is this instruction sheet for setting eyelets any use?
https://fabricland.ca/howto/VarioPliers.php

I've also found this review that goes through the various options for the pliers:
https://www.minervacrafts.com/blog/product-reviews/prym-vario-pliers-set-review-by-emma

(I'm still none the wiser as to what the red bits are.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:11:30 AM by StitchinTime »