The Sewing Place

Sewing machine service(MOT)

Ragtimedoll

Sewing machine service(MOT)
« on: November 24, 2018, 13:24:37 PM »
I have had my Janome Memory Craft 6600p serviced twice however the chap has retired.
It is hard to find anywhere round here who services sewing machine.
I was given one chaps name but he says it will take 8wks :'( because he has a back log of work.
8wks is a long time to wait for it's return.
Anyone else have problems

Addiscomber

Re: Sewing machine service(MOT)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 18:27:10 PM »
Scotland is huge, so I don't know how close you are to Edinburgh, but if that is doable there is David Drummond's https://www.daviddrummond.co.uk/products/

If you ever need a new machine his collection/delivery service is probably worth considering, but be warned I have heard that he is very persuasive and could sell fish to eskimos!

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 18:42:03 PM »

I was given one chaps name but he says it will take 8wks :'( because he has a back log of work.

Surely they mean you need to book it in 8 weeks in advance. They're not going to keep it for 8 weeks.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 19:34:16 PM »
Scotland is huge, so I don't know how close you are to Edinburgh, but if that is doable there is David Drummond's https://www.daviddrummond.co.uk/products/

If you ever need a new machine his collection/delivery service is probably worth considering, but be warned I have heard that he is very persuasive and could sell fish to eskimos!
AFAIK Drummond will collect and return.
Oh and yes you are right David could sell anything to anyone (which is why I have a three drawer chest of Madeira threads in spite of doing very little machine embroidery).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 20:05:35 PM »
Don't you have a back up machine you can take out until your fancy 6600 returns? 8 weeks on a simpler machine should be doable?

Bowerbird

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:57:37 AM »
i agree with @wrenkins, I can see no reason why it can't be booked in for a date of your choosing, as long as it's more than 8 weeks in advance.

And thank you ladies for the advice re David Drummond. It's always good that the weak-willed amongst us know the places to avoid.  0_0

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
Thank you to all.
David Drummond is quite away away.

I have been given a name by a private message from this forum NJ sewing service
they are in Falkirk which is an hour and 15mins from me so will try them.

@arrow.. I do have another machine it is 25yr old Toyota and an overlocker. My first ever machine I bought when I got married and made a pair of curtains which I never hung as the were awful!!!. So I made dog coats for all my dogs instead. They turned out better!

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »

Surely they mean you need to book it in 8 weeks in advance. They're not going to keep it for 8 weeks.  :)
No it does not matter when I bring it in, he has the machine for8wks

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »
8 weeks is a long time!

Have you thought about getting one of the small machines as a back up? John Lewis have a JL range that are under £100 which are made by Janome. I'm sure Manuela has one and it would tide you over with not too much expense. I think they were even less with the Black Friday deals.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72