The Sewing Place

"Swan Lake" Help!!!

Thecostumelady

"Swan Lake" Help!!!
« on: November 25, 2018, 13:26:52 PM »
Hi everyone, especially the tutu people.  I have been asked to make a tutu with a Swan Lake feel.  That is, top plate to look like the swan wings, but not with real feathers.  At first I thought  'OK, not a problem, just a few appliqué shapes in the shape of a wing on either side, loads of images on Pinterest'.  Well, I don't know if I'm going a bit daft, but for the life of me I can't come up with anything that looks remotely like feathers!  Would you just make the two large wing shapes and sort of draw the individual feathers on and 'quilt' a feather pattern? That was my thinking after spending ages trying to come up with convincing looking appliques and failing. About 4" long and all overlapping, how many of those am I going to need?? Would take ages. (this is not a well paid make so don't want to invest forever in it!)   Would I just attach them along the centre line to give a 3D effect?  If so they would have to have some thickness and be two sided...dont fancy doing a 'stitch round and turn through' thing all those times. What do you think?  I seem to remember someone posting a similar thing here recently??  Any help would be appreciated. :(  Ann x

Yellowfeather

Re: "Swan Lake" Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 14:25:32 PM »
Never having done a Swan Lake tutu, my advise might not be good, but how about cutting a few strips of tulle or net or whatever you are using and make them dagged, then make the next slightly longer & so on until you have covered enough of the tutu. I am not sure if thats what they have done in the attached picture, but it might inspire you.  Alternatively, you can buy ostrich feathers and just sew them into a wing shape.

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 19:55:54 PM »
Have you thought about angel wing appliques? Have a look on Ebay they have some that might be suitable.
Was Sewnanny

Thecostumelady

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:17:32 AM »
Thanks for your help girls.  I'll keep these suggestions in mind.  The pic was just the effect I was looking for YF and I will certainly have a look on ebay Lollipop, they sound interesting.  I have been having a little play and I think at the moment I am favouring the following....  Draw a whole load of pointy oval shapes on white poly cotton. Lay over two thicknesses of tutu net and a layer of sparkly organza (face down).  machine with a grey thread around the shapes and cut out leaving a 1/16" allowance. I think I will cut a plate the shape of the two big wings and try to cover with overlapping 'feathers' as in the picture.  At least that is the plan.  I like the effect of the raw edge as when the organza frays a bit it looks slightly feathery and also the tension in the net makes the edges curl slightly at the pointy bit.  I think I will just attach them with one line of straight stitch half the length of the centre line, leaving the rest to curl up a bit.  The grey thread sounds weird but it seems to give the feathers dimension and makes the outline stand out a bit.  Been channelling my old patchwork and quilting days for inspiration for this one.  Its amazing how all aspects of sewing and crafts in general help with each other, don't you think?  Wish me luck!  Ann x

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »
top plate to look like the swan wings, but not with real feathers.

Any particular reason why not??

ideas of things to plunder from ... feather boa, feather headdress/fascinater type thing, feather hat
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Thecostumelady

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 15:10:49 PM »
Hi Iminei, and thanks for the suggestions.  There are a few reasons why we don't want to go for real feathers.  The dress is for a stage dance competition in the Classical Ballet section.  The 12/13 year old girl who the dress is for, although a lovely dancer, will be competing in a competition for the first time so will be in the Novice sections.  You are classed as a Novice if you have never been placed 1st in a classical ballet section, whatever your ability.  The costumes usually reflect the music used and although this won't be from Swan Lake it will have a similar kind of feeling.  The teacher wanted something that was suitable for novice but with just a suggestion of the real thing. Ann x
By the way, I'm itching to get back to doing some patchwork but just don't have the time!!  :( 

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 15:48:59 PM »
I can't help with tutus but you may want to have a look at this thread by the very talented Twan https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,4259.0.html
(If the link doesn't work just go back to May 2018 on 'the show must go on' board, the thread entitled First tutu - uni project.)  I recall the tutu in question was for a bird.
Life's too short for ironing.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »

[/qu
The grey thread sounds weird but it seems to give the feathers dimension and makes the outline stand out a bit.  Been channelling my old patchwork and quilting days for inspiration for this one.  Its amazing how all aspects of sewing and crafts in general help with each other, don't you think?  Wish me luck!  Ann x
[/quote

I think the grey thread sounds great to give the feathers some definition.  Have you tried some silver metallic thread?  it might just give a little sparkle to them too??

]