The Sewing Place

Recommended trench coat patterns?

Kittensposies

Recommended trench coat patterns?
« on: March 31, 2017, 20:32:31 PM »
Good evening all!

I discovered this week that I have given my favourite trench coat to the charity shop. At least, it is nowhere in the house.

So I wondered about making one...

I have googled a few patterns and I quite like to look of the StyleArc Prue and the Sewaholic Robson coat, but neither are lined and I much prefer lined coats.

Has anyone made a trench coat? Would you recommend the pattern you used? Any hints or tips (including "don't do it, just buy one!!") welcome!!

Vegegrow

Re: Recommended trench coat patterns?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 20:48:25 PM »
Fran made a lovely floral one for her Mum recently.......Fran... FRAN..... 0_0
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 21:06:35 PM »
i'm just starting The Luzerne trench coat but its not lined I'm afraid.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 21:39:00 PM »
Fran made a lovely floral one for her Mum recently.......Fran... FRAN..... 0_0

It was Lekala 5484 but I added the stormflap and shortened it a lot.

Kittensposies

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 22:39:21 PM »
i'm just starting The Luzerne trench coat but its not lined I'm afraid.

I saw this one too!! It looks lovely!!

I wonder if I could underline it?? Thoughts?? I just hate it when it sticks to my clothes so feel the. We'd for something silkier on the inside.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:30:43 AM »
There are various tutorials on how to line a coat or jacket, so you could still choose an unlined coat pattern and follow one of the tutes.

Kittensposies

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
I have seen a few tutorials... but I have the fear!!  A coat is scary on its own.... maybe need my brave pants on!!!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 15:49:10 PM »
C'mon.  Pull on those 'big girl pants'.  A coat is a lot of work, but not difficult - I've made three  :D - and the outcome depends on how much work you put in.

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 17:00:46 PM »
I actually find coats easier. Less fitting issues than something that sits next to the skin. Plus you get to do fun things like hammer studs and buy metal hardware which I always enjoy.

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 15:28:52 PM »
Oooh I made the Robson Coat and I loved it. It was such a lovely fit. I used cotton drill and then contrast collar/ lapels/ pocket flaps/ buttons in Liberty Print. I shall have to hunt out a photograph. The fabric was pretty inflexible but the sleeves went in like a dream. I imagine it would be not too tricky to draft a lining. I lined the sleeves of mine but not the rest of it. I always line the sleeves in unlined jackets or coats. Or you could underline it.

charlotte

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 15:38:50 PM »
I found a photo. Not a great one, though - sorry! I forgot I shortened the length by quite a lot. Also if I made it again I would cut down the contrast elements maybe leave the pocket flaps and buttons.

Kittensposies

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 18:09:16 PM »
That looks lovely Charlotte!

I am going to spend the weekend doing some pattern research but Robson does look good and I know Sewaholic fits me with only length alterations. Definitely need a toile for this one :)

I think underlining may do the trick, I don't want to add bulk, it's just to make sure the fabric doesn't stick to my clothes!

Ooooh project!! Exciting :)

charlotte

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 13:01:37 PM »
There is a good blog post/ tutorial on adding sleeve lining to the robson coat:

https://purlsandpleats.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/tutorial-add-a-sleeve-lining-to-the-robson-trench-coat/

Kittensposies

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 19:04:57 PM »
Thanks Charlotte, much appreciated!!

I have two shift dresses to make for work (yawn) but Robson is next on the list after that!!

Now.... choosing fabric..... my favourite part!!!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 14:24:54 PM »
I made Vogue 8121 in the 80's and it worked well, is lined, and has the option of a further detachable warmer lining, but it is long out of print.  You may find it on the Vintage sites.