The Sewing Place

Japanese Hand Sewing Needles

Esme866

Japanese Hand Sewing Needles
« on: November 30, 2018, 17:03:12 PM »
Manuela mentioned these in another thread...now I'm intrigued.
I LUV my Kai Scissors.

Any thoughts on these? Since deciding to "up my game" in the quality sewing department since my return, I am finding myself always returning to the long needles I used in my youth.

Amazon has some 6 needles for $9, and 30 needles for $4. All japanese. Will there be that much difference in quality?

BrendaP

Re: Japanese Hand Sewing Needles
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 19:48:16 PM »
Yes, the 6 for $9  will be better quality than the 30 for $4.  They might be titanium plated to keep them sharp for longer and they will likely be smoother and sharper than the cheapies.

I once bought a dozen pin wheels of berry headed pins (probably from Amazon) for the price of one wheel of good pins.  Those cheapies  had so many burrs and blunt tips that they were unusable for proper sewing.  I ended up giving them to GD for some pin-art she was doing.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Roger

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 20:22:06 PM »
I once bought a dozen pin wheels of berry headed pins (probably from Amazon) for the price of one wheel of good pins.  Those cheapies  had so many burrs and blunt tips that they were unusable for proper sewing.  I ended up giving them to GD for some pin-art she was doing.

I had some of those an aunt left here... terrible - but I got some expensive pins with glass heads for silk and that was night and day so much better :)

now Im intrigued by Japanese needles... and scissors :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 20:28:33 PM »
Yes, the scissors are so nice I can't help but want the needles.

@BrendaP  Thanks for doing my thinking on the needles! I'm working on my house and the brain just wasn't coming up with concepts like titanium and burrs!

@Roger Another bonus with the scissors is that I have great big Man hands and the grips are nice and roomy - and I only ordered the less expensive dressmakers shears instead of the professional that I was salivating over.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »
I use the Tulip brand of Japanese needles if I can get hold of them, I started by using their beading needles and they lasted so much longer that they were cheap in comparison, I now have some of the sewing needles and have been very pleased with them.

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 06:10:11 AM »
@Celia

Thank you! I will be adding the Tulips to my next Amazon order.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
Great I hope you like them as much as I do