The Sewing Place

Use by dates on yarn

Ellabella

Use by dates on yarn
« on: November 30, 2018, 17:28:59 PM »
In the summer I bought some fabulous yarn at a wool show.

I've just started to knit some fingerless gloves and noticed the ball band.

Why?

Celia

Re: Use by dates on yarn
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 17:35:28 PM »
I have never seen anything like that before, I think a lot of my yarn would be expired :devil:

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 18:12:22 PM »
Doesn't that mean that the garment it's made into isn't expected to last for very long?   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 19:06:18 PM »
Maybe some kind of EU regulation? I have seen 50 year old cotton thread, wool and polyester yarn in top condition, unused and stored dry in a plastic bag. Wool has a very loong life when stored properly. The only thing I know, some colors can fade or change over time; though modern dyes tend to be stable.

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 20:59:47 PM »
I can't help but wonder if they have cheapened a process to tje point that the dye or something isn't stable.

Afterall, with all of the sorry fabrics being used in RTW, it is why we can no longer buy many of the quality fabrics that were manufactured 20-30 years ago.

Are they trying to make everything disposable?

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 21:50:42 PM »
Probably self combusts after a certain date... whether knit up or not! :P

Pinkstar

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 22:11:07 PM »
 :o :o

How ridiculous.

sdBev

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 23:40:35 PM »
I dont know EU laws, but US requires such dates on nearly everything.  It makes yiu wonder though,  What happens to sour cream after the “useby” date?  Does it become sweet cream again?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 23:46:03 PM »
@sdBev don't we though? Try being in California; we have even more "good ideas" like that.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

arrow

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 00:02:55 AM »
I dont know EU laws, but US requires such dates on nearly everything.  It makes yiu wonder though,  What happens to sour cream after the “useby” date?  Does it become sweet cream again?

Curvey cucumbers are out here, they need to be straight. Some regulations has turned out a bit odd . There has been a public effort to reduce waste here and info on what type of foods that can be used after their sell by date; yogurt and sour cream being a good example. They are rather strict on the eggs sold here, but they tell us they are fine for weeks after the sell by date.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 22:00:32 PM »
If you don't understand that, you are definitely not fit for your office. I bet you can't even see that lovely gold thread suit.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:00 AM »
Mmm, just googled the dyer.  I think it was originally her own joke.
The yarn is also "for external use only".  Sorry I didn't see it right away. 

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
Mmm, just googled the dyer.  I think it was originally her own joke.
The yarn is also "for external use only".  Sorry I didn't see it right away.

Silly me, should have thought of doing that.

It is gorgeous yarn, almost good enough to eat.

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
FYI. I bought some older (retro) wool unused - still banded.
I sourced a vintage pattern on eBay for a cardigan and started knitting.  Halfway through the back I joined a new ball and noticed that if the yarn was tugged just lightly it broke!
I tested a few more balls at random and the result was the same.
Needless to say had to throw it all away.
I think it had a special finish which made the wool perish after a period of time.
I'm wondering if there's a similar situation with the wool which  has a use by date?
Annieeg

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 13:20:38 PM »
I have lots of stash wools which are just fine, but I bought a batch of wool from a charity shop for a child's jumper.  There were little flaky bits here and there on it and that just broke up in several places when I was knitting.  I think moths had laid eggs on it and the hatchlings chewed through when they came out. My wool is always stored in bags or boxes where the little blighters can't get it.