The Sewing Place

What contests would you like to see in 2019?

Manuela

What contests would you like to see in 2019?
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »
I’d like to pick your brains and get input what you would like to see/do next year as contests.
We’ll definitely keep SWAKOP as an annual thing and I also like some contests, such as the florals, the scraps and the tartan one.
What else would you like to have?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 23:29:08 PM by Manuela »

DementedFairy

Re: What contest would you like to see in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 15:35:07 PM »
You could base several on colours

I could share my projected Dogstar 'paper wasp' challenge here after Xmas?  I'll probably let that roll through to about April as it's a potentially complicated make....

Pick up on Fabrickated's T shirt remodelling idea Transforming a t shirt

'cosy'

'accessories'

'small'

shamelessly nicking ideas from other sites/blogs, how about pinching the 'designer december' idea, to replicate/be inspired by a catwalk or designer piece?

Jungle january was always fun
so...furry/fuzzy/fluffy february?

holiday

blah blah blah I could go for hours lol

C'est moi!

SewRuthieSews

Re: What contest would you like to see in 2019?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 20:56:03 PM »
Stash busting?

Manuela

Re: What contests would you like to see in 2019?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 23:30:29 PM »
Great ideas, keep em coming  :loveit:

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 00:43:46 AM »
Ugly clothes.  I could win one finally!

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 02:32:02 AM »
Ugly clothes.  I could win one finally!

@Kwaaked, thank you for your contribution....
I had hoped for serious suggestions to make the contests useful and accessible for everyone here.

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:50:30 AM »
@Kwaaked, thank you for your contribution....
I had hoped for serious suggestions to make the contests useful and accessible for everyone here.

It was somewhat serious if it helps.  I find I am in an ugly clothing style at the moment.

Doing a monthly contest, or bi-monthly you've got all kinds of things to pull from.

Jan -Feb: Date night for Valentine's day
March-April- Easter (4-21 this year)
May-June - Garden party, since a lot of weddings will be happening.
July-August- Preparing for winter with a Coat, looking forward to fall or a summer blowout with the final garment of the season.
Sept-Oct: Halloween...could do costume, orange, purple and/or black ensembles, a Pearlies contest incorporating some form of bling (and really, I kind of love them), Guy Fawkes day outfit for the bonfire (aka: outerwear)
Nov-Dec- Holiday dress, Christmas sewing, New Years Eve outfit

General ideas not specified to a month or time:
pick a celebrity/royal and create an outfit for some type of soiree
favorite shirt contest with an explanation of why this is your fave style as part of it
 fabric specific contest and choosing one outside the norm for most people (be it natural, shiny, knit)
fancy pajama/loungewear
color you normally don't wear
modernizing historical component/dress
lingerie/slip
Day to night challenge
Match an accessory you love and have nothing to wear with it.

Some obviously can be changed to fit, like Pearly can be an embellishment challenge or some such.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:51:58 AM »
Male garment, nightwear, outerwear, disguised repair. (And thank you for spending time and effort on this)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Esme866

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02:28 AM »
-White shirt
-Upcycle
-Runway inspired
-Fun with stripes
-Creative use of zippers on a    garment
-Choose 4 challenge-choose 4 comfort level tasks-bound buttonholes/handstitched buttonholes, welt pockets, pick stitch, notched lapel, etc. Something to push the comfort zone.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:06:53 AM »
I like the fun with stripes idea!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
Self made trims:  fringing, buttons, braids. appliques etc.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lyn-J

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
try a new skill
I spent some time this year and found it quite difficult to find out what was going on so maybe a time table locked thread and a general chat thread.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »
I spent some time this year and found it quite difficult to find out what was going on so maybe a time table locked thread and a general chat thread.

Thank you for the suggestion @Lyn-J, that’s a brilliant idea.

ETA: It will only be a rough guide though, I would like to be flexible with an odd idea or two  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 13:21:53 PM by Manuela »

MrsThrifty

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »
Sewing for babies/children/tweens/teens? A few of us have some littlies to sew for!

Sewing for The Other Half? Would help me be less of a selfish sewist. I have plans for him, but never have enough focus.

Sewing home dec? Would request a long time frame for that, those projects aren't the quickest. Fran has made some curtains and someone else has refitted their caravan seating in the past, so there is some goings on already. Perhaps a broad competition for those useful home items that aren't celebrated as much as clothing and quilts?

Art-teacher-chic? The Tilton Sisters? Alabama Channin style? Joe Brown's Inspired? They all use mixes of fabric, asymmetry and fabulous embellishments to make a garment pop. I usually stop once the bones have been done, so the embellishment part appeals to me. Again, longer run time appreciated due to the time it takes to do the finishing!

Lush fabric challenge? Velvet, satin, silk, chiffon, all those trickier to work with fabrics. I only say this because I really want an excuse to make a navy blue velvet wrap dress...  ;)

SWAKOP for sure. Even if I don't end up finishing this year, it was nice to focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 23:09:58 PM »
I like the fun with stripes suggesion 0_0

Pleats and tucks.
Added bling - beads, sequins, stones ....
Headgear - hat, bonnet, fascinator etc.
A reversible garment.
Complementary colours - an outfit or single garment with two (or more) different fabrics.
Sewing with lace fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.