The Sewing Place

What contests would you like to see in 2019?

Sakar

Re: What contests would you like to see in 2019?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
I loved this re/up-cycle contest.

Something like.... "The best thing, you could do with denim trousers..." (I have already 3 of them 0_0

Samantha

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
Up-cycled
Fancy frock (or pants)
Shirt making (could be for any gender that one)

Lollipop

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
I would like to see some non specific contests such as 'something sparkly', or 'pretty in pink', or 'black and mysterious' - you get the picture, so that I could participate. I sew dancewear and tutus almost exclusively and have very little time to do things like repurpose a T shirt.  :)
Was Sewnanny

Manuela

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »
I would like to see some non specific contests such as 'something sparkly', or 'pretty in pink', or 'black and mysterious' - you get the picture, so that I could participate. I sew dancewear and tutus almost exclusively and have very little time to do things like repurpose a T shirt.  :)

How does a posh frock contest sound to you @Lollipop? Would that be something you’d consider participating in?

PS: Please have a look at the entries of the Refashion and Upcycle contest. Nobody repurposed a t-shirt. On the contrary, everyone was really creative.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:23:45 PM by Manuela »

Lollipop

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 19:14:48 PM »
I wasn't being disparaging about any contest, or any entry to previous contests, Manuela, but I thought that was one of the suggestions mentioned. I will continue to follow the contests with interest.  ;)
Was Sewnanny

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 22:05:52 PM »
Setting a specific colour has already been done a cople of times - we had an all white competition right at the beginning of TSP, and then the Sew Red in memory of Veggiegrow.  Maybe another colour?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 01:41:46 AM »
Setting a specific colour has already been done a cople of times - we had an all white competition right at the beginning of TSP, and then the Sew Red in memory of Veggiegrow.  Maybe another colour?

How about a Little Black Dress contest - those who don't wear black could opt for 'their black', i.e. navy or dark grey @BrendaP?

ETA: I just thought of something: Having the Blues - anything from garments, Darkside to accessories goes, as long as it is blue. That might also suit @Lollipop
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:55:23 AM by Manuela »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »
I do like the sound of having a few contests with themes. like the tartans, florals, a color like you mention or a theme -here's a hare brained one just for the concept "Race to Space" or any of many better themes that is generic content wise so anyone can enter. I've really enjoyed seeing the results for those. We know usually a garment will "win" but that's not the real point is it. It's more about participation and sharing. And pincushions. Pincushions should always be included. Always.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

annieeg

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
@Manuela
Did I see a suggestion of UFO's to complete within 2019?
(Perhaps I imagined it...)
Anyway, it provoked me to look for my UFO's yesterday and in a 2 hour search I have identified:
1 x Burda Dress
1 X Cashmerette Dress
1 x SyleARc top
1 x Vogue waistcoat
1x Kwiksew corduroy pinafore dress
1 x turquoise summer trousers - lost the pattern envelope so don't know the make....
1 x RTW taken apart (done) black trousers to recut with burda pattern
1 x RTW taken apart (done) pinstripe trousers to recut with burda pattern

Its interesting that a lot of the above projects are quite close to being finished - so why do I put off completing them?
(Its a similar syndrome of the unfinished DIY snagging list .)

Happy New Year to all.
Annieeg

Manuela

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 13:30:25 PM »
@annieeg, you spotted it correctly. However, that’ll be a year-long sewalong with the aim of completing as many UFOs as possible  :)

annieeg

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 14:32:25 PM »
@Manuela
I'm going to do my best to join in the January 1st-31st Stash busting contest, and I have some patterns/fabrics identified.
 :D

Kwaaked

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 15:13:06 PM »
I only have the one UFO...and it's been on a dress form for 6 months.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »
Is there a contest for March? If so what is it?
I try to play along when the parameters are something within what I might sew anyway.

Sakar

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
There will be the cushion cover swap, it's not a contest, but it will be great fun :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 08:59:46 AM »
Is there a contest for March? If so what is it?
I try to play along when the parameters are something within what I might sew anyway.

@SewRuthieSews ,look here for the full list, of monthly and longer ones. First post.

March is sewing for the little ones, including garments for your pets or the 18" dolls and over March & April is the extended contest, sewing for men (clothes).
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.