The Sewing Place

Button surrrounds

toileandtrouble

Button surrrounds
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:59:21 AM »
I have seen some buttons that sit in a metal 'dish'. the buttons can be exchanged for others of the same size.  They used to appear on some of the old fashioned  brands like Eastmoor.  Does anyone know the proper name for that metal bit?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

Re: Button surrrounds
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 21:58:37 PM »
Do you mean something like this?  or these?

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 22:29:05 PM »
Thank you but no, the ones I saw are dish shaped with a slot at the back and the centre button with a shank sits inside.  It is possible to remove the outer ring if the button is not sewn  down. 
I bought Sew magazine and it has an article on embroidered buttons, the metal ring is around the fabric but it does not mention where to get the kits.  If i could buy the backer piece, I'd use cover buttons for the inside. 
It also had 2 patterns, one for cape (!where have I just seen one?) the other for a princess seam dress with different cup sizes - sadly it was the one with smaller sizes.
 If no one can help, I will write to the magazine, but I'm not as hopeful of help from them as I am from here!  They seem to be associated with Simplicity, like Sewdirect.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 22:52:50 PM »
I can't help with what you're describing but it reminded me of some buttons I saw in John Lewis a few years ago. They would have been suitable for a coat I think. They consisted of a large button with a medium sized button on top and a small button on top of that. Each element was different and I think the smallest one had some sort of sparkle. They were commercially produced but I remember thinking they would be easy to copy.

PollyWally

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:39:29 AM »
Are they something like the "Metal Ring With Shank" buttons shown here ?  All Buttons

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 15:45:22 PM »
@toileandtrouble

These things seem to be so obscure they are bound to be a bit cost prohibitive.

Have you considered buying large flat metal buttons - with no shank - and just drilling between the 2 or 4 holes to open them up for an additional shank?