The Sewing Place

2019 Darkside Challenges and Competitions Ideas Please????

Iminei

2019 Darkside Challenges and Competitions Ideas Please????
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
Well we are cantering towards a New Year and I would like to hear from you what you would like to see going on in the Darkside next year .....

The BOM sort of fizzled out this year ... is it worth continuing with it?

The OPPBOM disappeared  completely tho' it was popular when around, maybe we need a Paper Piecing Tzarina to take this over ??? @rubywishes

Project Linus was a great success ... Shall we repeat this ??

Another Mystery quilt???

Stitched postcard swap ??

And your ideas Darksiders ... let us have em......
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

Re: 2019 Darkside Challenges and Competitions Ideas Please????
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
I'm game for most things...definitely not fpp except I can't commit to bom.
I hope we get a revival over on TDS it seems to have been very sparcely populated over recent months  :( It's the only thing I really do and I miss having folks to chat to and share with  :(
Let's make 2019 a truly momentous P and Q year  <3 <3

P.S. Please come back home soon @Iminei  I'm missing you  :'( Please chat more when you get back, I'm lonely  :'(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:35:07 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:43:20 AM »
The BOM sort of fizzled out this year ... is it worth continuing with it?  While there have been fewer blocks complete this year, I think they are a resource which we are building up.  Maybe a different member could do a block each month to take the pressure off you, @Imminei.

The OPPBOM disappeared  completely tho' it was popular when around, maybe we need a Paper Piecing Tzarina to take this over ??? @rubywishes   Go on, @rubywishes .  You know you want to.

Project Linus was a great success ... Shall we repeat this ??   Yes!

Another Mystery quilt???  It was very popular.  I'd love to do another one but haven't finished the last on yet.

Stitched postcard swap ??  I probably wouldn't join in this one.

My ideas - I have become involved with a group that makes quilts for young people leaving care.  They are distributed at Christmas dinners around the country.  If we make a quilt for Project Linus in the summer to hand in at FOQ, perhaps we could make one for the care leavers in the Autumn.

Last year, there was a suggestion of a multi-media project.  I know it wasn't very popular, but I'd love to do something like that. 

Most importantly, I need to work less and sew more. :P

ETA any challenge that would lead to fewer UFOs.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 18:42:19 PM by Pearl »

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »
Ironically, @Lowena I'm not chatting on the dark side because I'm quilting a quilt which is taking forever!

With me it's pot luck whether or not I have the time to sew and as I also do dressmaking the time I have is split.  (Hence only managed one BOM this year)

I liked doing the project Linus quilt because there was plenty of time to get it done and I could fit it in.  Likewise the mystery quilt which was spread out over a few months.  That one created a lot of conversation on the dark side as each stage was shared.   I like the idea of making for a charity as I enjoy quilting but have no reason to make quilts.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »
I'd deffo join in charity makes as I'm more "together" now. I'd like mixed media too.
I don't know what a postcard entails, but I'm not good with small and fiddly  -<
Instead of cushions we could have a coaster / placemat swap ( insulbrite wadding )

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »
I'd deffo join in charity makes as I'm more "together" now. I'd like mixed media too.
I don't know what a postcard entails, but I'm not good with small and fiddly  -<
Instead of cushions we could have a coaster / placemat swap ( insulbrite wadding )

^All of this , (except I'm not more together now).

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
Aah @Pearl  but you're a working woman so have an excuse......I'm just a lazy old git girl  :D

Bogwoppit

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 13:16:40 PM »
I think a challenge along the lines of doing something creative with that odd block that's been sitting around for ages. I've not been making blocks for very long, but have some without purpose.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 19:19:28 PM »
My ideas - I have become involved with a group that makes quilts for young people leaving care.  They are distributed at Christmas dinners around the country.  If we make a quilt for Project Linus in the summer to hand in at FOQ, perhaps we could make one for the care leavers in the Autumn.

This link turned up in the QG newsletter

https://quiltersguild.blog/2018/11/21/quilts-for-christmas-dinners/?mc_cid=5a9de7fb58&mc_eid=14d5d89a33

Seem to be a few people doing this. Is there a national contact do you think? It would certainly help to 'qwakop' and get rid of the stash...maybe.

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 20:01:57 PM »
This link turned up in the QG newsletter

https://quiltersguild.blog/2018/11/21/quilts-for-christmas-dinners/?mc_cid=5a9de7fb58&mc_eid=14d5d89a33

Seem to be a few people doing this. Is there a national contact do you think? It would certainly help to 'qwakop' and get rid of the stash...maybe.

Maggie Lloyd-Jones is the contact.  She is co-ordinating the project through the Quilts for Christmas Dinners fb page. 

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 20:33:45 PM »
Something small... mug rug swap?

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 21:23:26 PM »
I've not been doing so much P&Qing recently as I have more than enough quilts for my own uses, so Project Linus or other good causes are an excuse to make more and I would certainly be interested.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sakar

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 21:29:01 PM »
The BOM sort of fizzled out this year ... is it worth continuing with it?
BOM is not so my thing...

The OPPBOM disappeared  completely tho' it was popular when around, maybe we need a Paper Piecing Tzarina to take this over ??? @rubywishes
PP I have never tried, but I would like to. It should be really easy and "beginner friendly".

Project Linus was a great success ... Shall we repeat this ??
Why not? :)

Another Mystery quilt???
Good idea 0_0, although the last one is still not finished

Stitched postcard swap ??
YES!!!  0_0 0_0

I always wanted to make a mini quilt, maybe as a BOM or as a mystery?

Something small... mug rug swap?
Good idea!!!! :D
MugRug swap for... Spring/summer/autumn/winter or Easter/Halloween/Christmas/New Year ...

As you just got to know ;) I didn't have much time to sew, and even less for posting my results, but I will try to improve this ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 21:42:14 PM by Sakar »

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »
Yes, I’d like to do Project Linus again. Maybe Mystery quilt and / or small swap , like a mug rug. I quite like having a seasonal mat for the coffee table so we could do a Spring theme or Autumn theme swap.

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 13:01:54 PM »
@Iminei, I have intelligence the @Renegade Sewist wants pincushions to be included - she also kind of volunteered to help with a list  :devil: