The Sewing Place

2019 Darkside Challenges and Competitions Ideas Please????

Renegade Sewist

Re: 2019 Darkside Challenges and Competitions Ideas Please????
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 21:02:12 PM »
@Iminei, I have intelligence the @Renegade Sewist wants pincushions to be included - she also kind of volunteered to help with a list  :devil:

@Manuela is basically correct. I have a few ideas that might be of interest but still being a relative newcomer I'm not too sure of what we typically do in the Darkside challenge and Competition wise.I know about Project Linus, which is also done locally to me but I don't participate as the coordinator for my region won't accept anything made in a home with pets or smokers. My cats are disappointed. I guess we do some exchanges and sew-alongs, but how specific are the sew-alongs? Just a theme ( color me blue, Springtime in Paris), type of work (P&Q, applique), type of item (mug-rug, table runners and placemats) or specific type of quilt (disappearing 9 patch, 1600 quilt). Examples off the top of my head to illustrate my question, not necessarily suggestions, although a few of them might actually be good.

And yes, I do have a hankering for making pincushions. And a very large bag of crushed walnut shells mocking me.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 21:20:09 PM »
Ooh thanks @Renegade Sewist  I have a bowl of walnuts for xmas and was wondering if I could use the shells........do they work well in pincushions?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 22:49:59 PM »
I too have a big pot of crushed walnut shells.

@Lowena  Crushed walnut shells are tiny pieces about the same size as Demerara sugar granules.  Could you smash your shells that fine?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
 :S no way @BrendaP  :o Looks like they'll be going on the compost heap after all  :D
Anyway... i don't know anyone who sews, so I won't be making pincushions  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:11 AM »
Brenda's right. Some of the hulls even look like they've been tumbled so there are no sharp, pointy bits on them. We use the stuff they sell in pet supply stores for lizard and bird habitat. Some quilt shops rebag it in small amounts for pincushions. It is an excellent heavy filler for a pin keeper.  :pin:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

WendyW

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 06:00:16 AM »
I've never done a BOM of any kind, and I'm not sure I'd keep up with a long-term project. I'm not a fan of PP and it's even less likely that I'd join that one.

I do charity quilts all year for a local group. If that could be applied to this competition I'd likely participate. This year's entailed meeting/sending them to a British location which didn't work well from the USA.

I've never done a mystery quilt either. How does this project work?

I think the postcard one could be fun. I'm in the US, and this exchange would not be a big international shipping expense.

Someone above tossed in the idea of a swap for a seasonal table mat. I'm gradually building a collection of these for my dining table, so I'd participate in that.

How about a competition that uses only a single color of fabric? Or a single color plus white or black. I've got a box full of blues awaiting my attention.