The Sewing Place

ostrich feathers

Esimo

ostrich feathers
« on: January 20, 2019, 09:36:54 AM »
Hi just looking for a bit of advice,
I'm making a new tap costume for my daughter from her teachers design which has ostrich feathers from hip to hip and covering her bottom.  what is the  best way to attach the feathers on to the Lycra as they come on a cotton bias which is non stretch.
I've always tried to stay away from using feathers as I was not sure what to do but now its time to learn with your advice.

many thanks for any help
Em :) :thread:

Yellowfeather

Re: ostrich feathers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »
If I have non-stretch trim on Lycra, I measure out the hip measurement plus an inch or two on the trim, mark the centre and sides and the two ends at the back (quartered circle), then pin to the leotard/costume and machine the tape, stretching the lycra to fit the trim as you go.  If that doesn't work for you, cut the feathers apart, and just hand sew on individually.

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 13:00:04 PM »
Esimo, I do exactly the same as Yellowfeather. It might look at bit wavy on the hanger, but looks fine when the costume is stretched on the body. If you are buying feathers from the internet, get samples because the quality varies enormously! I bought some last week and they were tiny!!
Was Sewnanny

Yellowfeather

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 19:30:05 PM »
Oh Lollipop, that is so funny!!! :D  How many times have people been caught out by either not reading the description, or there not being a size guide! (Obviously, never happened to me in any way! :D :D).

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 20:02:37 PM »
If you measure from the top of the tape to the end of the tiniest bit of fluff,  the odd strand measures 12cm. The actual feather fringe is about 6cm   :S
Was Sewnanny

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 17:18:26 PM »
Don't have to stitch feathers fortunately but the same rule applies to stitching any non-stretch trim to a lycra base. Mine tend to be pompoms or fringe. Good luck.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !