The Sewing Place

Lining a knit fabric with woven?

Ploshkin

Lining a knit fabric with woven?
« on: December 07, 2018, 21:20:33 PM »
I want to make something similar to a duffle coat style coat that I made many, many years ago from a brushed woven blanket fabric.
I will probably use the Grainline Cascade coat pattern that I already have.

It seems that these days any warm blanket fabric is fleece and I don't want fleece, I want a fair wool content and I couldn't find anything woven so I have ended up with this from Croft Mill
It's quite a substantial wool / polyester knit (you can't see any light through it.)   It has almost no vertical stretch but is quite stretchy widthways.

Do you think it would work with a cotton flannel lining (something slippery for the sleeves) or underline the pieces with flannel then line with a conventional lining?  I suppose what I'm wondering is if lining or underlining a knit with a woven will work ok.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:34:37 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

Re: Lining a knit fabric with woven?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 22:35:40 PM »
Yes, I did it with a substantial knit (that I didn't at first realise was a knit) and made a short coat. I used ordinary polyester lining all over and it was fine.

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
That looks pretty hefty to me, @Ploshkin and as long as you don't want/need the inherent stretch I would have thought it would be fine to line with woven lining.  Or if you were really concerned that it would stretch/bag out of shape, you could block fuse the pieces with very lightweight woven interfacing to stabilise it.  Pretty fabric! 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 14:00:28 PM »
I think I'd use a lightweight fusible like @Nevis5 to prevent any unwanted stretch.  Other than that looks good to me. 

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 17:45:28 PM »
I don't feel able to advise on the stretch v. woven question, but dropped in anyway to say that I like your fabric and pattern and will look forward to seeing the finished coat.