The Sewing Place

Toile fabric

Ragtimedoll

Toile fabric
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
I have never done a toile in my life and I need to start as I have had a few failed projects.
What is the best fabric to use?
What is the best fabric to use for making heavy garments like coats?

Then making adjustments! I would not know how to do them or solve a problem. You lot would be constantly bombarded
with me every minute asking questions and crying for help!!!!

Efemera

Re: Toile fabric
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 13:52:19 PM »
I would use a heavy calico...

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 15:30:10 PM »
When making a practice garment it is best to use a fabric as similar to the fabric you will be using.
I have a generous stash of poor quality acrylics that look like woolens for sampling jacket patterns.

Muslin is often used for shirts and dresses, but you need something a bit heavier for trousers, jackets and coats.

Old sheets also work well for dresses and shirts.

If you have several alterations to do, I would highly recommend buying at least one book on the subject so that you will have a starting point. Then utilize help from the forum to help fine tune the adjustments.

Popeye09

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 16:07:58 PM »
If your cheap toile fabric is light in colour that's always a bonus too, since you can draw any fitting markings straight onto it with marker pens.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 18:43:41 PM »
As Esme said; "When making a practice garment it is best to use a fabric as similar to the fabric you will be using."  For a coat maybe an old blanket (woven not cellular) would be suitable, or if it's more of a trenchcoat/raincoat perhaps a piece of heavy curtain fabric, though plain is better than patterned if you want to mark alterations onto it.  Have a look around the charity shops to see what might be available.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
Thank you to all, your responses are great and very informative

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 14:49:09 PM »
I make a lot of cotton or cotton mix garments and usually have a good stash of sheeting fabric for making up patterns for the first time. I use BST Fabrics sheeting, its 240cm wide @ £3.60 per metre, great value.
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew