The Sewing Place

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!

Sewsuzie

Re: Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »
It's circa 1897 according to ismacs dating charts, so slightly older than LeilaMays. It is very difficult to part with them once you've acquired them (trust me, I know  ;)). They all have their own personalities and quirks  :).

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
This is the baby machine. Incomplete, sadly and not sure where/how to get it fixed.

Surest1tch

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
Have a look on the Singer site, I found full instructions for the 1936 Singer I bought on Sunday. I never expected to find them to be honest, I just googled the machine model and year asking for instructions and up it popped.

LeilaMay

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 13:43:55 PM »
Lovely machines showing up - happy smile to see them  :)

Here is an Oh My Gosh - look what I bought in a charity show today for £10!!!
not sure if she'll run yet, but I'm going to give it my very best. haven't even looked up the number yet, but this is a later rather than an earlier one. Still has bobbin case and one bobbin but nothing else. Plug missing tiny brass bolts and nuts but fixable .
I'll try her with my power cord from the other featherweight and report back...

Sewsuzie

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 14:30:55 PM »
Flippin' heck!!! That's nearly giving it away! Looks in tidy condition too, so definitely was worth taking a punt on. Opportunities like that don't come along very often. I'd have bought it too, even though I already have 3 featherweights.

Jammy so and so  :P

BrendaP

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 14:32:43 PM »
Oh Wow!  Featherweights tend to cost more than most vintage machines.  If she works, and I'm sure a bit of TLC will get her going, you have a real bargain.  0_0 0_0 :vintage: 0_0 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Roger

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 22:15:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing all your beautiful machines, its great to see them... I've had to cool it on the mad machine hunt... I'd still love a Necchi Julia, and maybe an Elna Supermatic... and a Singer 301. Theres some thing about Slant-o-matics and machines with cams I just love... but i have a few too many WIP both sewing and machines.

I think my favourite is my Singer 500a https://www.dropbox.com/sh/43lskddopwqa644/AAAwBJQ-twNIkGyBRcCZtvV9a?dl=0 I really enjoy using it is very comfortable and capable, it tends to be my go to machine as its always set up as its in the cabinet it came in. I'd love to know what its doing in the UK in a cabinet.

I also really like my Pfaff 30, its fussy about set up but once its set its a quiet unfussy stitcher and is shinier than Darth Vader's helmet. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8oq7e6nhnawp48/AAAJCVkruJtZNm1kfToOrnPVa?dl=0

but I have a few others too, some are still works in progress (201 K2, 401g, Cresta 132-T, Bernina 900 and 48k) others are great and work fine Bernina 530-2, the Frister Rossmann 504 (I want to sing the Bachman Turner overdrive every time I encounter F+R) and my Grandmother's Elna Lotus SP.

and the kids favourite the Grasshopper https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1qdk2dv0zuol5zq/AACvNAx4e4HcE_5rndEdotFza?dl=0 its perfect for kiddies to sew on, its very chilled (and the belt is too loose so looses traction if they go too fast), and the knee lever is perfect as its at the right height for a high chair. its just sad that its slowly loosing its paint

and some pics of them all except the 401g https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2xfddv5d8zqqap8/AAAWVIyiMtwJ3pr7kijhiscIa?dl=0

Hope you enjoyed that.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2017, 23:59:15 PM »
You have to give us some update on your Cresta Roger, it's rather unusual and nice looking : -)

Roger

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2017, 14:43:06 PM »
You have to give us some update on your Cresta Roger, it's rather unusual and nice looking : -)

They are unusual but apparently have a reputation for being a bit of beast: https://sewingtales.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/the-sail-loft/

The timing on mine is off (fortunately everything still works so I dont think the belt has gone), and timing currently defeats me as a mend. The case also appears to have got quite wet at some stage and the extension table is corroded and the stitching on the case has gone so that all needs some love too.  I do really like the look of it, its unusual.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2017, 15:49:18 PM »
I understand, a difficult case with the Cresta. Timing shouldn't be impossible, but I'm not sure how to refinishing extention tables. I'm still dithering with my touch ups on my green Phoenix.

Roger

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2017, 16:34:42 PM »
I figured I'd go and get a sample of a car paint for it, and then sand it down and get it really fine, and take time to build up a load of layers and sand and polish till its right.

I'm just not even too sure where to start on timing... my brain just wont read guides on it...

arrow

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2017, 16:46:38 PM »
Models differ a lot for setting timing, but there are usually marks on the machine and a basic way about it is to obseve the race, hook and needle as they turn and pin point where exactly things go wrong. There might be traces of something that has slipped out of place at some point. For an amateur it helps a lot to have a few guide lines on the particular model.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
1st job of the day today, shortening this pile of jeans I prepared last night. I'm using my trusty old Singer 99k (circa 1937), as I'm feeling lazy and want a bit of electricity. It's another one I've had rewired with a clamshell foot control and nice fresh cable. It does a great job on jeans, even over the thick seams (with a bit of help from levellers under the presser foot and a bit of handwheel turning).
Right, time to fire it up........  :vintage::) :)

Sewsuzie

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
All done now and ready to go. Just wish I could remember to keep my hand away from the light when I'm lifting the presser foot. Got a lovely burn on my thumb now  :(.
The 99k performed well on the stretch and the thick rigid denim, but I'm going to have to look at the stop motion screw at some point. The needle bar was still active while I was refilling the bobbin, despite it being disengaged. Not a huge problem, but it's nicer if the needle isn't going up and down when you've asked it not to.

arrow

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
It's in very nice condition Suzie. Have you had the hand wheel off? It often does the trick; cleaning, a bit of polishing if there's, rust, dried up oil or grime, and maybe something with teflon to make it extra smooth. The tiny oil point on top, just left of the hand wheel usually doesn't reach all the way out to the stop motion screw. If you tilt the machine towards the right (have a book or something under the left side of the machine), oil and turn the hand wheel with the stop motion screw both tightened and and in free it might get the job done.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 13:22:30 PM by arrow »