The Sewing Place

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!

Sewsuzie

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« on: April 01, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »
Thought I'd swell up the vintage corner with a few pics of my old ladies (and a few gents - some are definitely male).
First up is the one that started my love of vintage, a 1922 Singer 128k. She's also my desktop background and cover photo on FB.

This is the only one with any family connection, given to me by my MIL when she moved house. it had belonged to her MIL before that, and I'm guessing that she was the original owner in 1922.
It still sews beautifully and I use it to shorten jeans occasionally. It can sew through all the thick seams without making a birds nest underneath or skipping stitches.
At the moment it is sitting on the front room windowsill, with a few friends, waiting to spring into action at a moments notice (well, after I've flicked the dust off).
So... she was the start of the slippery slope into VSM addiction. Many more followed her, too many to show all at once,  so I'll leave it at that for now, before you all start to nod off.
Anyone else got any pics they'd like to show and tell?
:vintage: :vintage: :vintage: :vintage:
Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

b15erk

Re: Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
Susie she's lovely!!  Not all of my machines are as pristine as yours, but they do all work!

It's a slippery slope though - I really daren't bring any more machines into the house, until one or two have left! 

I will make an effort to take pics of my favourite ladies.

Jessle
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
Not all mine are that pristine either, Jessie. Some are definitely 'work in progress', and others are just plain 'neglected' these days. I got most of them when I had a bit of free time on a Sunday to clean, polish and tinker, but renovating DDs house took priority, and still is (but i have learned many new DIY skills along the way :)). I still live in hope that I will get to pamper the oldies again soon.
A little 221k might be having a trip out to her house tomorrow, to run up some makeshift voile curtains, if we can find anywhere clean enough to sew.

JillH

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 15:45:19 PM »
I have 3 old machines (at the moment :devil:)
A Singer Medium, it was bought by my Great Grandmother in 1906 (the year she married)  I think it is also known as a Singer 13.  It stitches through everything thrown at it.
The other two are Vesta hand crank machines, one a bit older than the other.  All of them have vibrating shuttles.
I've only posted the picture of the better Vesta although they both stitch well.  I'm thinking that I may sell or give away to a good home the Vesta without the cover sometime but I'm not sure yet -<
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 18:26:35 PM »
I'm just a snooper really as my oldest machine is 1960s (and still not brought back to use!  :|) but I love to look at these lovely engineered works of art.

I hope we're going to see lots more photos on this thread.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 19:01:59 PM »
Just to prove they're not all shiny and pristine, here's my 2nd acquisition - a 1902 Singer 27k in a drawing room cabinet. I fell in love with the cabinet after seeing pictures of one Dementedfairy had. I love the way the machine rises up from the cabinet with very little effort. The machine itself is not in very good condition and is still awaiting attention, but I've also got a 66k in nicer condition which I will probably put into the cabinet at some point.
Plenty more to show, but it still takes me a while to sort the photos on the cronky laptop. 

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 23:43:31 PM »
The machine itself is not in very good condition and is still awaiting attention...

Well I still think she's pretty, especially the Egyptian style decals although I do think the poor Sphinx would have a far more interesting view if she were facing the business end.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 13:38:43 PM »
Today's new arrival, a Jones...  0_0 0_0   <3

Sewsuzie

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 16:56:55 PM »
Oooh, lovely! I don't have anything that old or decorative in my collection. Enjoy!  :)

Sewsuzie

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 15:18:15 PM »
Time for another, now I've found out how to attach iPad photos.

This is my 'go to' for doing buttonholes and usually has a buttonhole attachment on it.
It's another 27k dated 1895 and was an eBay bargain at 99p, without the metal stand, just the machine and wooden tabletop. The seller only wanted the base for a glass topped hall table so was selling the rest, and nobody else bid on it, so lucky me! Worth a trip up to Durham to pick it up.
I just happened to have the base already but no top or machine, so it was obviously meant to be.
The woodwork needed a bit of a spruce up and a bit of tlc on the machine soon had it sewing beautifully. It sits in front of the patio doors, so there's a lovely view out into the garden when I use it. Even better when the sun shines and I can open the door too.
Loads more to show, but I won't overload the thread at the moment  |O

Suzie   :vintage:

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 15:41:58 PM »
She is a beauty, Suzie.
Is that a matching stool?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 16:00:08 PM »
Yes it is a Singer stool, but something I acquired years ago. Only really appreciated it once it was married up with the machine. It's something we used to trip over and curse regularly in my mums sewing workroom. I took pity on it when she was downsizing. Didn't even know they go for silly money on eBay  :o.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 06:14:25 AM »
Love to see all those vintage beauties, here is my little flock  :)

Bellatrix, a Singer 201K, born in 1948

Bella, a Singer Featherweight 222K, born in 1955, she resides in Thailand (she suffered from aluminum rot, so I had her stripped off and repainted pink)

Trixie, a Singer Featherweight 221K, born in 1955, my traveling machine (I bought her from the charity Tools for Self-Reliance in Bristol)

Isabella, a Singer 338K, born in 1964 - I managed to find a complete set of all cams for her ,with the Singer Autopilot Buttonholer attached, she makes the best buttonholes  :loveit:

Sewsuzie

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 09:42:14 AM »
Lovely machines, Manuela! I like the pink 222k, even though I'm not normally a pink person. I've still got lots to show, including 222k and 2 x 221k, but I don't want to bore people showing them all at once. It might scare me to see how many there are anyway.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:53:32 AM by Sewsuzie »

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
So cute!

I've been going over mine with the brasso and it's shining up lovely but haven't had time to get it proper cleaned.