The Sewing Place

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!

DalronAU

Re: Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 00:34:09 AM »
.... Don't know what that equates to in British £s, but it sounds incredibly cheap!

Suzie  :vintage:

8.72 British Pounds

Couldn't wait to get out of the shop in case they changed their mind about the price!    :D

Sewsuzie

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
I know I've already put a photo of my 201K on here (but not on this thread) so, as I think she's so lovely, I thought I'd risk bragging here too.
Seeing the 800 Berninas here too, would my old Bernina 1020 be a candidate as an oldie? I've also got a Necchi Lydia Mk2 that I badly need shaming into   trying out and cleaning up...

Bragging is absolutely encouraged here! Your 201k is lovely.

How old is your Bernina 1020? The only Bernina I have is a 1630 Inspiration Plus which is about 22 years old. It's in semi retirement now, as its computer seems to think it knows best, and doesn't always do what is asked of it  :devil:

I also have a Necchi Lydia, but a 3, not 2. Bought in 1974, I gave it a very hard life for over 30 years. It was still working when I replaced it (with an equally as old, Pfaff 1222), but it was grinding and growling a bit. Maybe one day I'll get round to having a tinker with it again.......

Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Marniesews

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
How old is your Bernina 1020?

That's a good question. I've tried comparing the serial number to the information on Bernina Central  but I'm confused about which part of it is indicative of age because the first digits suggest it was made in 1973 - that can't be right as the 830 wasn't made until around 1982 with the 1130 coming out in 1986 and both continued for some time after. So it must be the number below which indicates 1990.

She's one of the first ones with an electronic foot which gives the needle up/down facility, which I do like to have, but that's it on the computerised front. As a result, I'm trusting that she'll have a longer life than most of the computerised ones although I hear of lots of 1130/1230s that are still going strong and one would expect the earliest models would be the first to go.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
Just remembered, this is t'other half's mum's old machine - don't see many of these.

Marniesews

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »
Just remembered...

Does that mean you don't use her or is she not at her best these days?  :'(
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
I don't use her, and at the moment she's kinda buried under other junk in the conservatory, which is more like a junk room!  Once the conservatory is demolished and a proper extension built, then I may get her out.  I don't know if I'm any good at treadling though.  Oh, and I'm not a fan of brown furniture, in fact I hate brown wooden stuff!  I do have permission (as it was t'other half's!) to paint the cabinet, so that may happen.

arrow

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
The cabinet on the Mundlos machines is the finest, it would not look right in any other color than stained oak :- )

The machine is in very nice condition too. It has survied all kinds of evil all these years, I hope it will be saved from the paint brush. Mundlos models turns up here too, but just the odd one. I have so far not seen them in a top of the range cabinet.

Manuela

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 16:03:15 PM »
Just remembered, this is t'other half's mum's old machine - don't see many of these.
Ohhhhh that is a beautiful machine, love the cabinet it comes with too.  :loveit:

LeilaMay

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
Next on my list - the oldest machine I've kept - a 1902 28K number R235275.

She was flooded out in a cellar in Upton, and then left there or several more years along with a 99k. The cases were both beyond repair but amazingly both machines were in good enough condition to work again. Here are the before and after photos o this one.
(The replacement case is of the right style and vintage, bought from Helen Howes)

Sewsuzie

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
Fab job on the renovation, LM. It looks amazing, in its new (old) case.
Must post some more of my pics asap.

Marniesews

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
My word, she repaid you for your kindness all right!  :D

DalronAU

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 20:51:09 PM »
This is my 1915 Singer 15 (Sally Sphinx).  This week I managed to get hold of a vintage hand crank with decals matching Sally's. So lucky on that find.

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 22:27:37 PM »
This is my old singer (one of two I have). I have tried to put a photo up before unsuccessfully. I don't know much about it so any information anyone might have would be lovely. If this photo works I try sending its serial number next. (Where are the 'children' when you need them for tech support?) :[

Sewsuzie

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 22:47:00 PM »
LH, it's a 28k, same as LeilaMays, and probably about the same age judging by the base and case. Serial no will confirm it for you. Its looking good for its age  :).
I have a 128k from the twenties which was the updated version of yours. At a glance, you can tell them apart by the position of the bobbin winder. The 28k has it at the bottom of the pillar and the 128k's is at the top (see my pic in the 1st post of this thread for comparison). The 'coffin lid' cover also dates it to late 1800s or very early 1900s. By the time mine was made, they were in bentwood cases.
Do you use it, or are you just giving it a loving home? I'm homing a ridiculous amount of them, in every spare corner I can find. Some of them come out to play occasionally, when I'm sewing for pleasure rather than working.

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »
The serial number is 14088421. I don't use it much but wouldn't want to lose it. A friend has recently offered to buy one of them but having looked at them both this weekend I can't part with either of them. The other one has a rounded case (bentwood?) and is younger I think? I also have a small machine, possibly a child's, and I will try to send a photo of that later. I would dearly love an old treadle machine. Interestingly, if you look on ebay, all these old machines are 'preowned!!'. Funny, that.... :D