The Sewing Place

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!

ScarlettPoppy

Re: Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2017, 23:29:09 PM »
This is my German Silberberg machine, made in 1907 by G Winselmann. The one that started this obsession. Bought for a mere £45!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 23:34:53 PM by ScarlettPoppy »

Sewsuzie

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »
Lovely machines, SP! Your friends Harris does look quite a lot like my Naumann, doesn't it. Hers looks a bit less work worn though.
I think a lot that were made in Germany were the same machine, badged up with different names, as were some Jones machines in this country.
There are a lot of similarities between yours and your daughters too. The shape looks identical, just the bobbin winder that looks a bit different, and the decals.
Hope you'll keep us informed about your research. It's always nice to find out their origins.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
You know, in just 1 month I have become a fanatic about these beautiful old machines. I love researching and finding out about them. I recently retired from work so it is taking my mind off being a billy no mates for a while.  :) I am stil getting used to not being at work everyday.
My Winselmann is the same as a Singer 28 except for the long bobbing filler guide, which I read is a typical Winselmann thing.
I hadn't realised some Jones machines were German made also.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
I hadn't realised some Jones machines were German made also.

Sorry, I probably worded that wrongly. I meant that Jones made a lot of machines with different names on. I have a Vibra which is a Jones CS machine but just rebranded. Harrods sold them with their own name on too. Can't think of others offhand, but I know there were quite a few.
I was just likening it to German machines that all look alike but have different brand names.
Confusing, or what??
PS. You'll soon fill your time now you've joined TSP  0_0

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
Ah yes now I understand what you meant. My Winselmann is branded for Cobb & Sons of Stroud, made to sell in their drapers shop. This is all to confuse us 100+ down the line. Quite similar to the tangles in family research really isn't it?

Sewsuzie

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »
Just had a browse out of interest re Jones machine names and came across this list. I'm amazed at how many different ones there were  :o
http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Jones%20Labelled%20machines.htm.

Acorn

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
My very first sewing machine was an old, black and gold, hand cranked Jones.  I had it as a birthday present when I was probably about 12.  The following birthday (or possibly Christmas) I had a treadle table, and my Dad fixed it up to work from the treadle.  Unfortunately I never quite got the hang of running smoothly via treadle.

My Mum gave it away when I was 18.  I haven't completely forgiven her yet, but I hope it ended up in the hands of someone who loved and cherished it (and maybe sussed the treadle motion).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
Ooooh, I want one  :'(

Sewsuzie

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
This is my Vibra aka Jones machine. It's the only machine I've bought just because I liked the look of the decals. Its been sadly neglected since I got it, just gathering dust under my dressing table (with a cover over it). I really should find somewhere to display it so I can admire it's prettiness.

Sewingsue

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »
Understandable, Suzie, those are very pretty decals.
I would never part with my Singer because it was my mother's (even if she hardly used it), but I do like the Singers with the Egyptian decals.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Marniesews

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2017, 15:45:50 PM »
I do like those German machines - just because they're less familiar to me I suppose.

You've really not let the grass grow under your feet, have you ScarlettPoppy?  :)  It took me quite a while to let go of the post retirement thing but developing a type of sewing that I'd never done before (which also mushroomed) helped so very much. I suspect these beauties will soon be making you glad you have to time to indulge in them.

I can entirely understand why you bought the Vibra for its decals alone Sewsuzie - I had an immediate "ooooh..." moment as soon as I saw them too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2017, 21:15:33 PM »
...It's the only machine I've bought just because I liked the look of the decals...

The Vibra you have found looks very nice. Buying a machine for its' decals is something I might do (I don't dare say it out loud) I have notices some very nice art nouveau decals, flowers, lillies, leaves in swirly lines...  There's a VS2 with roses and various flower decals too. It's more common on model 12, but they don't look right with a motor.

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
Marniesews, I think I had to diversify and start to do things for myself, I figured I had given over 40 years to my family so now it is time for me;)
I have only my German Winselmann machine here at my house, the Singer 28k is now my DD1's machine at her house.
And I decided to skip on my friend's older German made machine, it looks OK but there is no shuttle, and without a proper ID of said machine and shuttle, it isn't wise to splash out on boat shuttles @ least £20 ! (HH's site). Some boat shuttles I saw were going for between £39- £49 on ebay!
It's an expensive job if I buy a shuttle (or more) and get it wrong, so i'll walk away gracefully and stick to my own German beauty.

Roger

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2017, 20:48:40 PM »
it isn't wise to splash out on boat shuttles @ least £20 ! (HH's site). Some boat shuttles I saw were going for between £39- £49 on ebay!
It's an expensive job if I buy a shuttle (or more) and get it wrong, so i'll walk away gracefully and stick to my own German beauty.

I have found Helen to be very helpful around identifying parts that are absent, especially if you are close enough to visit and ask her for help, she'll probably either know which or have a few she'll try. The cafe near Helen's is pretty decent too.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2017, 20:56:03 PM »
I just finished cleaning the 95k40... I have to say this machine has really surprised me,
I suspected that the clutch motor or the mechanics would be noisy, and that isnt the case, the clutch motor purrs and the machine ticks along happily, it is very smooth and it is a beast! its massive and very heavy!

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132