The Sewing Place

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!

Acorn

Re: Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2017, 16:01:09 PM »
Just thought I'd add a picture of my one and only oldie - an Essex Mk 1 miniature sewing machine from the 1940's - 1946 I think.

It only takes one thread and has no bobbin because it sews a (very pretty) chain stitch.  It's nice having no bobbin, but you do need a degree to get it threaded properly. 

It has an extension table, which I really should have put in place before photographing. 

The biggest drawback is that it has to be clamped to the table to be used, and, apart from the risk of damaging the table, it doesn't actually fit onto any of the tables I use for sewing - although it goes onto the dining table very nicely...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
I found this little toy machine, from the 1940s made in Berlin - perfect for me  :)

b15erk

« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2017, 09:03:49 AM »
I really must join in this thread, by showing some of my favourites.  My problem is, where to start?

Maybe with the machine in my Avatar, which is a Singer 611g, a chance find, and a machine I love.  It is similar to the Touch and Sew, without the strange bobbin, and not only has a goodly array of stitches, it can use two needles at once - no, not a twin-needle, you insert them seperately, and it also does a chain stitch.  This is a slant shank machine and the template buttonholer attachments I use, produce the best buttonholes!

I bought it from a charity warehouse, and it was pretty sorry for itself.  But, with a bit of patience, and a lot of damns and drats, she runs beautifully.

I have her in an old Horn cabinet, and I have to say, after the Pfaff 1475cd, she is up there with 'favourite' machines.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2017, 18:37:32 PM »
Acorn, lovely little machine. I have a very tatty Mk2 Essex, but not got it working yet. It could be used manually or by electric, but whether it ever will again, is doubtful.

Manuela, that's a really cute machine. I have 3 toy ones but not in very good condition. Not managed to get any of them to stitch either  :(

Jessie, your 611g looks in lovely condition and a very versatile member of the team.
Keep 'em coming, now you've started. We want to see more  :vintage: :vintage: :vintage: :vintage:

I'll look out some more of mine as soon as I've time. Quite a few more to show, including a newly arrived electric 201k DH snapped up cheaply on eBay. Looks very tidy, but not had chance to try it out yet.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Barnyard

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2017, 21:29:28 PM »
Im not sure if I am allowed to post pictures yet nor if BB Code is accepted here? However, currently in the household there are 3 x Singer 201k, a 99k, a 15k, a 221k and a 285k. I think that is all? Might be more stashed somewhere though!

BrendaP

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2017, 22:15:59 PM »
Where's the green with envy button?  For the space to keep them all as much as for the machines themselves!

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Roger

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2017, 22:47:57 PM »
Cor, they look lovely...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Barnyard

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2017, 20:30:10 PM »
All of them with the exception of my beloved 15k have found happy new owners I am glad to say. I will hopefully have a bit of spare time over the weekend to unlock and display the current machines I covet in my cave. Most if not all will also be looking for new homes though I may just keep the current 221k, she has had so many new parts fitted as my daughter was wanting her. Then decided, once finished, she wanted a Bernina instead!  :S

I know it's a womans perogative to change her mind, but she is 13 and could have mentioned it a lot earlier. Perhaps when it was stripped or rebuilt for that matter and maybe before the reconditioned motor arrived or maybe just maybe when I had assembled all the attachments including the 221 darning plate and sourced a somewhat rare Stoppax embroidery and darning foot?  :\

Ah well. Now on the hunt for half decent Bernina  >:)

Barny

Barnyard

« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2017, 09:28:15 AM »
I got the 201's out for an airing this morning. Hope you like them. I will post pics of the other machines when I have completed my chores....  -<

BrendaP

« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2017, 16:48:42 PM »
I like the look of that foot pedal !
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2017, 16:55:46 PM »
Fabulous collection.  You've got the obsession really bad haven't you  :devil:

Barnyard

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2017, 18:03:17 PM »
The foot pedal came to me in bits. It was totally rust ridden and one hell of a sorry state. It is I believe a "Type "A"" Simanco number 192888. It took a good few hours of work to get it up to the condition it is in now and it lives happily married to my 15k.

I do have a bit of an addiction to these vintage Singers, there is just something magical about them. The newer stuff you can keep. Anyhow here are the last of my current collection. Singer 221k, 15k, 99k, 275k. The 275 /285 is the last in the line of vintage I will take on as Singer were really cutting corners when it came to these machines.

b15erk

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
What a lovely display of machines BY.  Mine are all over the place atm.  Must get my act together and take some 'nice' pictures of them....

On a bit of a downer with the Featherweight since I nearly managed to set her on fire.....  Bob Green still hasn't shown up to check her out, and I really don't feel confident about using her until he does.

Good news though, I won a nice table off Gumtree which I hope is going to fit her nicely.  Atm it houses an old Alpha machine which I have no use for.  The table will be nice when it's sanded and re- finished  ;)

No pics just yet, it's still in the back of the car - the rain was torrential when we brought it home last night.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Barnyard

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2017, 13:20:02 PM »
Thank you b15erk, many days have been spent on this little collection getting them fully working. The 99k does not have a lamp fitted as the bracket broke so I am on the lookout for one of those to complete the machine and the 275/85 has a problem with reverse stitching as in it is not adjustable. I know what the problem is and once again on the lookout for the offending part to complete it.
With regard to your motor I would not worry too much. They are resilient little things. The smell will no doubt have been carbon deposits and grease. When I rebuild a motor I leave it on full power for half an hour to test it and there is a smell eminating from them. I then spend a couple of hours using it on a machine at various speeds to test its load capabilities. Only one has failed (221) and that was due to a capacitor inside the motor itself. Snipped them both out, quick rewire and it was running like a dream. If your man doesnt show to take a look at yours I am in Leeds and if you can get it here I would be happy to check it over for you.

Barny

b15erk

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2017, 14:15:35 PM »
Barnyard thank you!  You gave me enough confidence to open the footpedal - I've done it before, but for some reason, this one made me nervous.

Previously, I've only encountered a small capacitor, but inside this one, were two, rather large ones.  I removed them, and put the foot back together.

I'm glad to say, the Featherweight now runs nicely.  If it wasn't for the smell, I would feel that it was running well, but it smells 'burney'.  Only ran it for a second before I got called away,

Does this sound normal?

Jessie

eta, thank you for your kind offer BY, but we are self employed and get very little time off.  Leeds just isn't do-able atm.