The Sewing Place

Oh dear .... Can we fix it ?

Iminei

Oh dear .... Can we fix it ?
« on: January 22, 2019, 16:34:49 PM »
So today Ive changed the beds... somehow during the night Imself had ripped a large hole in his bottom sheet!  :S and it needed sorting. That sheet will be useful for practice sandwiches and (I daresay) some of the yellow fabric may end up in the coverlet project.

I then changed my bed and decided to put my most favourite duvet set ever for all time ever on. Its been a long time since Ive used it as I have a lovely semi embroidered one that came from JL now, but I have lovely memories of it and still adore it in all its faded charm.

It was a gift and came from Liberties of London in the mid '80's and even the pillowcases were £25 each THEN!!!!!  :o Im glad I didn't have to pay, well I couldnt have but I do love it ...

Oh ... Oh I may have come across the reason it hasnt graced the bed for a while; One of the pillowcases has ripped quite badly ... No problem I can fix this .. I say to myself. A bit of fusi and some judicious stitching  -< ...
So I'll leave that to one side to remind me tomorrow.

Now for the cover ...Ahh there's a small hole; no problem I can patch that I have some blue paisley fabric somewhere Im sure ....Oh there's another one, Ok I could patch these two, make a feature of it!

I'll just turn the cover over for appearances sake . Oh! There's another small hole ... I think Im going to be quite busy tomorrow! :o

Linky
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 16:37:22 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

Re: Oh dear .... Can we fix it ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 19:48:44 PM »
Don't worry too much, you will fix that tomorrow, I am sure about that!  :sew: :) :thread:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 20:04:49 PM »
Have Imself trim his toenails if the rip was at the bottom. OH was always destroying sheets between his nails and restless legs.

As for the Liberty set,  :'(. It's always sad when old cottons start to show wear marks (holes) or the fabric begins to deteriorate. Give it some loving stitches to keep it going longer.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 14:37:34 PM »
Tomorrow has come and Ive been out and about so will have to sleep an extra night with just the one pillowcase and the holes! 

I slept wonderfully under my old friend last night but on waking discovered, at just about chin height, a Blue Paisley Patch!

The fabric matches so well I hadn't noticed it yesterday and ... hopefully .. this is the fabric I will use to patch the 'new' holes.   :)

Sakar

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 20:17:45 PM »
Perfect :)

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »
I slept wonderfully under my old friend last night..

There's nothing quite like a good night under an old friend.   :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
Well I finally DID something and here are the results...

Of course after I fixed the BIG rip, I noticed yet another hole and after I fixed that and started to push the pillow in, I heard an ominous rip so I fixed that bit too ...

Oh and the patching fabric is a very nice paisley blue Tie silk that has myriad lil holes coming so I do think this will be a very temporary fix and I will be having to retire the set after all :(

crooknees

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
 Can you save a piece to use on a cushion? Something to hug when you feel sad. This is one of those times, when I wish we had an alternative to "Like".

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »
Oh Im not going to BIN it! @crooknees  :o

When the time comes it will be carefully placed in the airing cupboard, washed and neatly folded and maybe some bits will find their way into a quilt, but it will never see the inside of a bin lorry!  :loveit:

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
For goodness sake.... take a photograph and then put the linen in the bin!  How can you be sentimental about linen??  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
@Iminei I had several some things that I could not part with so in an effort to keep from ending up on a hoarding programme on the telly I started a "memorabilia box". Everything from my school scarf to photographs to that green plastic monkey off the cocktail glass in one not very big box. It's great. Because it's not very big I have to be very selective about what goes in it and there isn't an LPS (little pile of poop) in every corner and open space in my house.  :)

If it doesn't qualify for the Mem Box, it gets binned.

My descendant (niece) will find the box when I'm gone, poke through it and laugh when she wonders what the story is behind the little green monkey.  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 17:19:11 PM »
How can you be sentimental about linen??

Because its beautiful and I love it !!!

You should see the state of my bedroom curtains, on second thoughts scrub that, even I have to admit that they are getting to be an embarrassment  ... but I adore the fabric ... (Saraband by Sanderson in the late '80's if anyone has some or knows where I can get it) ....

The Paisley as seen in this pic ..... 

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 18:00:12 PM »
Nope... can't understand the mindset  :\ still, each to their own  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D