The Sewing Place

seasonal cushion covers

Sizun

seasonal cushion covers
« on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »
I've had this idea for years about having cosy warm color cushion covers in winter (possibly wool or faux fur) and changing to something freshening like white and blue stripes in the summer. But it meant finding storage for the out of season covers.
Then I had an idea : why not sew reversible covers ? Brilliant. Then I tried to figure out how to sew them. And the conclusion was sooooo simple : just make 2 regular covers and use one on top of the other !  :toast:

Anyone doing this ?

fajita

Re: seasonal cushion covers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »
You could make the front in stripes, the back in fur. Two in one.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 13:09:29 PM »
Nope.... same old ones year round!

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 16:32:51 PM »
My Mum used to have Winter curtains and Summer curtains for her living room. Poor old Dad had to do the changeover.  Honestly, life`s too short

Sizun

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 17:09:35 PM »
You could make the front in stripes, the back in fur. Two in one.

It could work in a perfect home. But our cushions would never be on the "right" side

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 23:34:48 PM »
No no no no. Just get the servants to change them.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 05:27:06 AM »
@Sizun . I just want to add that two covers changing places is a genius idea.  Like all good ideas, it's obvious - why did we not think of that before?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 14:53:02 PM »
Having donated a couple fo very scruffy ones to the  :woof: bed I have bought a couple of Chrismassy cushions.  £7 each from Matalan and one £8 from Julian Charles.  Fabric, piping, zip and innards - you couldn't make them for the price.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 14:56:13 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sizun

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 16:02:40 PM »
Brenda, they're lovely, especially the ones with the hares. They remind me of linocuts.
I do agree sometimes things are not worth making yourself, but it depends on 1) do I already have the fabric and notions in my stash  2) is it fun (for me) to make  :snip:

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 19:36:19 PM »
We're not exactly seasonal but we are big on birds with a recent edition of a large cushion with a stag on (only just finished after buying the fabric in January).  They are so easy to make though.  I'm quite pleased with this one since I bought the innards last year and DH moaned at the size.  He's currently sat in his chair with it propped up behind him.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »
My Mum used to have Winter curtains and Summer curtains for her living room. Poor old Dad had to do the changeover.  Honestly, life`s too short
My Mum did too, and for their bedroom.  I think we kids kept the same ones though.  But of course, this was pre double glazing, so the winter ones were thicker to help keep the rooms warmer.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 19:23:16 PM »
My sister also changes her accessories (inc. curtains) every 6 months to reflect the cool/warm seasons. She lives in a bungalow and is very tidy so it works for her. My house has too much clutter to be faffing about changing cushions.  :S