The Sewing Place

Machine for lettering only, please?

Snowgoose

Machine for lettering only, please?
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Can anyone please suggest a nice, simple and reliable embroidery machine for just doing lettering?  I am thinking about adding names to dog blankets, toys and so forth.

I have no idea what to look for and no idea of prices - I'm a vintage Singer user - hand crank at the moment!  The main thing would be that it do could lettering to a high standard.  If someone could please advise me I would be so grateful as I can then decide if it would be possible to save up for over time or, if it should go into the nice idea but...pile  :|

Are there any old machines that I could look out for on eBay?  I can't travel to any shops and so I'm totally reliant on online reviews and shops.

Thank you  8)

Madame Cholet

Re: Machine for lettering only, please?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 14:36:10 PM »
I noticed alphabet stitcher attachments on Helen Howes' site a while ago:

http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/bigatts.html#buttonholers

(- scroll right down to the bottom of the screen)

I have never seen one in the flesh so to speak and I have no idea if such an item would fit your machine or even do what you want, but since I have always wanted an excuse to own one, when I read your post they sprang to mind  8)

Snowgoose

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 22:41:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the link  :flower:  My machines - the one I'm currently using and my other vintage ladies - are straight stitch only and sadly, it looks as though I can't use the attachments with them  :'(   Oh well, into the 'best forgotten' ideas box this idea of mine goes  :'(

Lilacs

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
A late reply! I have the Janome set and it really is only for monograms. It produces capital letters, I think a max of 3, and they are tiny. It's also fussy and needs a lot of practice to place letters correctly. Apart from that, it's perfect ;)

Snowgoose

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 23:05:47 PM »
A late reply! I have the Janome set and it really is only for monograms. It produces capital letters, I think a max of 3, and they are tiny. It's also fussy and needs a lot of practice to place letters correctly. Apart from that, it's perfect ;)

Thank you  :flower:  I think I will try appliqué!  The Janome set is very expensive - I will be happy playing with appliqué! :snip:  :thread:  8)