The Sewing Place

Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st

Tamnymore

Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2019, 14:16:47 PM »
Yes I'm glad to hear that stashes are being busted even if it isn't my stash. I'm a bit late to the party.

As usual I'm trying to fit a pattern onto not quite enough fabric. The pattern says 3.6m of 150cm fabric. I have 3.08m of 137cm wide fabric so we'll see!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 14:21:30 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2019, 14:45:48 PM »
Entry#4 1/2m

Not exactly busting that stash - barely half a metre- but I've had this white cotton jersey forever and the request for a white long sleeve T shirt for GD to wear to a superhero party reminded me it really is lovely quality, maybe I could dye it and make another top for me.

Complete with red cuffs and belt to match the cape. Buckle made from foam with foil applied. I'm gettingting lots of use from the foiling kit. Shirt buttons are also foiled, I'll tell DD to cut them off before washing but bet she'll forget.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 23:51:07 PM by Manuela »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Efemera

« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2019, 15:41:27 PM »
Number 4..
Marcy Tilton 9332
Not sure if the high low hem and the square set in sleeves are worth the effort but I love the pockets.
1.5m used

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 23:53:01 PM by Manuela »

Lachica

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2019, 15:55:51 PM »
Very nice @Efemera. That's unusual fabric but it works well with that pattern.
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2019, 16:03:28 PM »
Entry#5 2m tulle
Easy knotted tutu for fancy dress. Used the last of the ?200m? of tulle that was used to make swags for DDs wedding. I didn't have all of it in my stash, probably only 20m or so as most was used by a friend. DD and SIL were living in Shanghai at the time &bought it at the fabric market there.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 23:55:14 PM by Manuela »
Mary

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2019, 21:26:19 PM »
Its so annoying when you can't find fabric you are sure you have. I have some I want to use for a blouse but cannot find.
I had a clearout late last year so sometimes wonder if it has fallen down behind something in the cupboard or I donated it.
I have no record these days of what I have, so it is like a magical mystery tour whenever I go looking.

Manuela

« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2019, 13:01:58 PM »
@Francesca, as you can’t make anything else from it, count the recommended amount  :)

Lachica

« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2019, 20:36:05 PM »
Entry#5  1.5m ish to make 4 toybags

I made a small one for dolls' bits n bobs to use up the fabric I bought for the doll's changing bag. DD requested more. GD had a wooden train set for Christmas so the large bag on the right is for that. This one is lined with a pillow case to conceal the back of the embroidery. All made with pieces I was hoarding as 'too big to throw, might come in handy'. The elephant one is pieced from several small bits, pattern matched of course. They all have drawcords made from stashed bits of silky cord. The bases are from DH's favourite black Levi's, which had holes in the knees. Wonder how long before he realises? I'm loving this challenge!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 23:02:06 PM by Manuela »
Mary

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2019, 22:47:06 PM »
SewRuthie Sews Entry #3 Teal print Kinder cardigan (with hand embellishment) - 2 metres of fabric used

Kinder cardigan in fabric I've had for just over 10 years.

I bought the fabric for this on 25th October 2008 from Washable Fabrics on Preston market when four of us had a bit of a PR weekend away. It's moved house 4 times with me over those 10+ years but is finally getting made up!

I've used the Kinder cardigan in the mid length with full length sleeves. I've added in seam pockets, a belt and belt loops. I tried to place the print sensibly by cutting the pieces out single layer. I've also added some hand detailing in the upper body one side. I ironed some very lightweight interfacing on to the back of the upper front area to give a little more stability for the handwork without changing the drape of the fabric too much.

Lachica

« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2019, 23:25:31 PM »
That is superb. @SewRuthieSews , the beading & embroidery lifts the colours.
Mary

Manuela

« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
That’s lovely @SewRuthieSews, odd name for the pattern... Kinder is German for children.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2019, 07:58:36 AM »
@Manuela yes I noticed that. However its from a book called "A Beginner’s Guide To Sewing With Knitted Fabrics" by Wendy Ward. I believe she's originally from Sheffield and loves the Peak District so she's called the garments in the book after various local places.

The Kinder Cardigan is named after Kinder Scout, the highest point in the Peak District and the site of the “mass trespass” of 1932 which was a co-ordinated mass protest of wilful trespassing on the open country of Kinder Scout which was then not open to public access. It was undertaken by approx. 400 ramblers to highlight the fact that these open areas of natural beauty were inaccessible for walking by the public.
Kinder Scout is fairly local to me and I enjoyed that local connection to a sewing pattern.

The other patterns in the book are also named after the Peak district in various forms. Familiar to people who love rambling in the Peak District.
There are also
Derwent trousers - either the River Derwent or the drowned village of Derwent in the Ladybower reservoir.

Longshaw skirt - Longshaw Estate a National Trust location

Monsal Lounge Pants - the lovely Monsal Dale and Monsal Head

Peak T-shirt - presumably after the Peak District National Park

Winnats Tank - After the Winnats Pass
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:04:43 AM by SewRuthieSews »

wrenkins

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »
Ha! Thanks for that @SewRuthieSews. I bought that book specifically for the cardigan pattern but I'd no idea about the pattern names.
I do like a bit of background trivia.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2019, 08:34:36 AM »
I bought the book for the cardigan too, but will hopefully sew up some of the other patterns in future. I don't expect to do that funky skirt though as its unlikely to flatter my body shape.

I really love that the patterns are named after places fairly local to me. I live just a few miles outside of the eastern edge of the Peak District National Park and have enjoyed walking in many of the locations.

Manuela

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
Thank you for the interesting background information @SewRuthieSews.

So far we have 21 entries - this must be already some sort of record  0_0