The Sewing Place

Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st

BrendaP

Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
Unless you have to store the stash somewhere inaccessible (in which case it will never get made up!) I really don't see the point of spending time typing up a spreadsheet.

The fabric is there to be looked at, albeit crammed into a cupboard.  If the cut ends have been overlocked I know that it pre-washed.  The fun part is looking at it, patterns in hand, and trying to decide if it's suitable for any of them.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:45:13 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2018, 13:30:50 PM »
Two jerseys are on the top ready for January. Can we cut and prep early? I need to print the PDFs.

yes  :)

BayCreekGal

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2018, 14:34:16 PM »
I have a couple of garments made from stash yardage planned for January, so if I get them finished I will enter. 

I have a couple of bins of yardage, but much of my stash is made up of thrifted garments that I have purchased specifically to make into something else.  Many of these have been waiting around for years.  I know there is a refashion contest coming up in Sept., but I really want to get some of these garments either made into something I will wear or use or out of the house in the near future.  I guess my question is, does the stash fabric have to be yardage?

Manuela

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2018, 15:39:32 PM »
@BayCreekGal you can use the thrifted garments as long as you’ve had them in your possession for at least 6 months. After all, this is what you stash...

BayCreekGal

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2018, 16:48:25 PM »
Thanks for replying so quickly, @Manuela

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2018, 21:13:27 PM »
@BayCreekGal you can use the thrifted garments as long as you’ve had them in your possession for at least 6 months. After all, this is what you stash...

Whoopee! Does an imaginary triple back flip. Opens up a few more possibilities. Thank you Manuela.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Holly Berry

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2018, 23:15:03 PM »
B£00*y h*** , @Holly Berry , that's a bit organised!!!!  (with aplologies for the "magic" words!)  0_0

It doesn’t help me make it up though, I just know how much I’ve still got to sew  0_0
Procrastination get behind me

warpjr1965

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2018, 13:34:04 PM »
I'll happily join in on this challenge!  I hope to sew at least 2 garments from stash in January, this will give me extra motivation.

I use the same stash shrinker spreadsheet that Ruthie uses, I think I actually learned about it from her. :)  Lately I've been ignoring it and purchasing some yardage, some I needed to complete a specific project, some just called to me as I wandered through the fabric store and jumped into my cart!

I'll redouble my efforts in the new year to whittle down the fabric storage.
Wendy

mudcat

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »
We can cut stuff out before 1Jan? 

I'm on vacation until the 2nd so cutting things out during that time would be great.  Mr MC will be in Asia for a couple of weeks in January so I should have some time to sew while he's gone. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2018, 08:17:33 AM »
Yes @mudcat ! I asked and Manuela said yes.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lyn-J

« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2018, 14:59:50 PM »
coming to this a bit late, but only until the 31st January! Do you know how MUCH stash I have, better get a wiggle on!

Acorn

« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2018, 15:40:44 PM »
I may be on for this one, having stuffed up the blouse I was making to wear at Christmas - I ironed a hole in the centre front seam, and even though I could have fixed it, I realised I didn't like it anyway.  I absolutely looovvvve the fabric, though, and I'm fairly sure I have enough over (and can rescue enough) to be able to make it in a better style.

it qualifies doubly for this contest, because I bought the fabric from @Francesca in April, so it has been in my stash since then, and was in hers before that!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2018, 22:59:07 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this contest. Hope to cut out a little in advance.

samtowanda

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2018, 04:37:46 AM »
I'm in. I have several pieces of fabric that I will cut out tomorrow to work on over the next few weeks. My stash is sizable but it could use some downsizing in 2019. My goal is to sew more than I purchase.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2018, 07:38:42 AM »
Ditto.  Going through the boxes for useful candidates.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m