The Sewing Place

Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st

Manuela

Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« on: December 09, 2018, 01:06:29 AM »
We start the new year in good fashion with busting your more or less considerable stash(es). Here are the rules, feel free to fire away any questions.

1. Sew an item (usable or wearable) using fabric in your stash within the contest time frame.

2. To count as stash, the fabric must have been in your possession for at least 6 months (so prior to July 1st, 2018). If you aren't certain when you got the fabric, your educated guess is fine; the concept is to exclude more recent purchases, not track exact dates.

3. Any sewn item is allowed (clothing, accessories, home dec, pets). Sets, such as curtains, count as one 'project'. Slip covers count as one project per piece of furniture.

4. Any item entered must have been made entirely in the contest time frame started no earlier than January 1st, finished on January 31st and pictures uploaded with a short description here in this thread by February 7th.

5. You are encouraged to submit more than one project, and state the amount of fabric (in yards) you used for each item. You’ll get an extra point/vote for each yard of fabric you used up (I may live to regret that....)

At the end there will be two winners, the biggest destasher (using maths) and the best destasher (by vote).

Happy de-stashing

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 23:37:34 PM by Manuela »

toileandtrouble

Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:40:50 AM »
Well that explains it. There is someone sneaking new bits in, all the time.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 13:28:14 PM »
I've got two or three projects already in mind, and I haven't even gone through all my boxes yet!   I want to make a full sleeved highnecked blouse out of some ivory viscose leaf patterned voile I have had for years. Also a length of thick stripy wool jersey is taking too much room and needs to be turned into a coatigan.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 14:21:10 PM »
I'll plan on joining this contest and I have 2 garments already planned!

I need to re-do my skirt muslin from 20+ years ago, am I able to do this before January 1st to perfect fitting before I cut into my good fabric?

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 14:29:43 PM »
This sounds like the kind of contest I need to join. My stash is in serious need of busting.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 14:36:49 PM »
Back in April I bought some seriously floral knit fabric from Francesca - without a clue what I was going to do with it. I am awaiting a date to have my knee operated on and need a new dressing gown for the hospital so I had already decided that this was it's destiny. Depending on what date they give me, I think this might do for the contest, providing there is enough time between 1st Jan and O-day!

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 19:17:17 PM »
ROFL, this is up my alley.  I got a ton of clothes I have to make.  And when my folks were sick, I shopped rather then sew so I got A LOT of fabric that is anywhere from a year old to 8 years.

I say this, but we all know I got the ideas but never seem to pull through!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 19:36:51 PM »
@Helen M - I'm pretty sure that toiles are fine in advance, but @Manuela will give the definitive answer.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 21:58:26 PM »
I'll plan on joining this contest and I have 2 garments already planned!

I need to re-do my skirt muslin from 20+ years ago, am I able to do this before January 1st to perfect fitting before I cut into my good fabric?

@Helen M, all kind of preparations such as toile making, fitting, amending the pattern, etc. are allowed to be done beforehand.  :)

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 22:58:49 PM »
Thanks for clarification. Not sure how much time I'll have but sometimes you can do a lot in small snatches.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
This could be the shove I need to make up the dress/tunic I've had planned for around 3 years now.  Thing is, I'm very erratic in my sewing habits. Good idea for a group sew though.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 09:52:39 AM »
My operation is scheduled for 21st February so I shall have time after all.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 13:54:09 PM »
...... and remember, each uses up yard gives you an extra bonus.....

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 00:15:29 AM »
Time to replenish my pillowcase collection. Too sloooooow at anything else to compete.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 04:18:28 AM »

@Helen M, all kind of preparations such as toile making, fitting, amending the pattern, etc. are allowed to be done beforehand.  :)

@Manuela, on that note in some competitions cutting beforehand is sometimes allowed. Where are we on that for this competition? (not like I really think I would get to it; you never know)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.