Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »
@Manuela........... sorry I don't understand what UFO
UFO = UnFinished Object
also called PHD = Project Half Done 

DementedFairy

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
@Ploshkin..... I did not know this was an English Marking site I thought it was a sewing site if  you want to correct a persons post then you should do it via a private message and not in full view.

Therefore I will be bowing out gracefully :(

I think you missed the point of the post there- I read it as a jokey correction designed to help you disguise the extent of your stash/es/ing from your other half [as most of us do lol]
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
@Ragtimedoll  - I think Ploshkin's post was done strictly tongue-in-cheek and was meant to point out  just how sinful the rest of us are for having such a stash. I really don't think it was intended as a genuine criticism.

Sewingsue

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »
Forums are wonderful things. They make it possible for people to connect.
They can be a great source of support.

Unfortunately the one thing they cannot transmit is the tone of voice in which something is typed IYSWIM.

<3 @Ragtimedoll
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2018, 13:15:22 PM »
@Ploshkin..... I did not know this was an English Marking site I thought it was a sewing site if  you want to correct a persons post then you should do it via a private message and not in full view.

Therefore I will be bowing out gracefully :(

Please don’t be offended @Ragtimedoll, Ploshkin tried to explain the the ‘philosophy’ of stashing and the implications a stash can have...
Something I’m not too familiar with either, my stash is tiny compared to some I’ve heard of and I do a regular inventory to ensure the fabrics I bought are being put to good use.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2018, 15:17:12 PM »
I don’t have a stash.  :(
So far I’ve either bought material for a specific project (Xmas gifts) or been given the material as part of my sewing class projects so there’s no leftovers.

I was thinking of making a cover for my ikea Poang chair in the new year so I might enter the House Beautiful competition, if allowed.  However, is this competition also requiring the use of fabric you already own?

That’s also assuming I can find/buy some suitable fabric by then.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2018, 15:54:09 PM »
I think the only competition requiring the use of stash is the Stash Buster, otherwise all those good girls who used up all their stash in January (yeah, right) would have nothing to enter all year. Oh, and Lowena could enter nothing at all!   Hope you find suitable fabric for your chair. I have a couple of those Poang chairs and find them very comfortable.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Fiona M

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2018, 16:31:05 PM »
I have a huge stash, so it will be good to use a bit up.  A denim pinafore dress is on my agenda.

Tamnymore

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2018, 17:48:46 PM »
I'm trying to imagine the possibility of using up all my stash in January @toileandtrouble . I'd need the help of a fair sized factory
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Manuela

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2018, 18:07:45 PM »
I was thinking of making a cover for my ikea Poang chair in the new year so I might enter the House Beautiful competition, if allowed.  However, is this competition also requiring the use of fabric you already own?

No, only the stash busting contest requires this  :)

toileandtrouble

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 18:10:51 PM »
@Tamnymore  and @Francesca,  Me too!  If all the stash was gone, I'd be able to go shopping with a clear conscience, on the other hand, it is my source of inspiration.  Having a whittle though, when I've decided what
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
So not everyone is a  :devil: there are some  :angel: like me :)
You have all been sweet cute with admitting to your stash stocks
Abbreviation I think I will invest in a code breaker for this section :o

Lachica

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2018, 09:53:59 AM »
@Ragtimedoll I've learnt loads of new abbreviations since joining this forum. I also found out about overlockers...and coverstitch machines...and machine embroidery....and the need for a stash. I had none of these things before (well, maybe a very small stash)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »
*wanders into sewing room, becomes overwhelmed by the stash*

I hate having a stash - I want to make up all that lovely material!!  I really ought to be able to enter this competition!

Pearl

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2018, 13:22:03 PM »
@Ragtimedoll, I think we need an UFO contest just for you.....

Not just for @Ragtimedoll .  Maybe not a competition (unless the winner is the sewist with the most UFOs), but a challenge would be great.  That would be so unifying.  Light and darksiders, everyone (except @Lowena  :angel:).