The Sewing Place

Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st

Sewingsue

Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:38 AM »
How do you all remember the fabrics (and quantities) in your stashes?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Greybird

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »
You echoed my thoughts entirely @Sewingsue . I can only count the growing number of plastic boxes its all stuffed into.

Lyn-J

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
All my fabric counts as stash, as I have been really good and making up the newer acquisitions as soon as I buy them.
Do I get extra points if my fabric goes back to 1918?  >:)

...and I have about 20 UFOs
  :S :'( :|

Manuela

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
Do I get extra points if my fabric goes back to 1918?  >:)

...and I have about 20 UFOs
  :S :'( :|

1. No  8)
2. That makes you an ideal candidate for an UFO challenge @Lyn-J . I’ll put it up later this week.....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:53:10 PM by Manuela »

Sewingsue

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »
WOW! @Francesca that is seriously impressive.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kwaaked

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2018, 13:04:03 PM »
While I remember my stash by color and type, I still have swatch cards with all the info on it: storage location, yardage, width, date purchased, content, price, washing instructions and notes.  Everything is filed in an old bank filing cabinet for index cards.  Most of my lengths is 3 yards or more.

Most of the time, I go looking for a specific card rather then shopping, my stash.

In all the 20 some odd years I have had a stash, I have forgotten one fabric.  Most of the time I can recall my fabric with about a 95% accuracy to the information to the card.  I don't forget the fabrics, just forget details like width or exact yardage.  Part of it is a good memory and part of it is I don't let it sit and never look at it (I go through the cards at least 3 times a year pretty thoroughly, twice for sewing seasons and once for inventory).

Tamnymore

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2018, 13:06:57 PM »
Very impressive spreadsheet @Francesca . I do the odd list or spreadsheet of fabrics but I never keep them up to date so perhaps that could be a NY resolution. I like to record where I have bought a length of fabric - a memory of a happy fabric shopping trip.

You are very organised too @Kwaaked. I can usually find where I have stored a length of fabric but sometimes it's a bit of an archaeological dig!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 13:09:05 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Holly Berry

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2018, 13:12:42 PM »
I cut a little strip of each fabric and attach to a record card and then file in a box. I use yellow card for woven and blue for knit. I record the composition, length, width and jot down if I’d originally bought for a specific pattern. (I purposely don’t record the price, that would be far too scary!)

Once made up I file at the back with details of the pattern used.

I have thought about numbering the cards and then referencing on my patterns to match the suggested fabrics and record pattern numbers on the cards, but that might be a bit too anal  :|
Procrastination get behind me

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2018, 13:48:58 PM »
B£00*y h*** , @Holly Berry , that's a bit organised!!!!  (with aplologies for the "magic" words!)  0_0

Greybird

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2018, 13:50:59 PM »
When I buy fabric, I actually have no intention of it becoming part of a stash - I buy it for a specific purpose, but don't always necessarily get round to doing it - maybe I changed my mind about the garment or decided on a different fabric or needed more of it or whatever. By which time, said fabric is two or three down in the pile and well on it's way to being forgotten. This is far too late to be making notes of it on cards, spreadsheets or whatever.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2018, 13:52:20 PM »
When I buy fabric, I actually have no intention of it becoming part of a stash - I buy it for a specific purpose, but don't always necessarily get round to doing it - maybe I changed my mind about the garment or decided on a different fabric or needed more of it or whatever. By which time, said fabric is two or three down in the pile and well on it's way to being forgotten. This is far too late to be making notes of it on cards, spreadsheets or whatever.

Sounds like me  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2018, 14:19:15 PM »
Fabric shops were not nearby so I used to make special fabric shopping trips and bring all the fabrics back. They didn't all get sewn up of course.
And then I lived near a roll end shop where you could park for free if popping into town (which was so handy you had to have a quick look).
And then I moved but handily the market had a fabric stall, so I would go in from work in the lunchbreak and see what he had. Such a nice man so I would have a chat and buy something.....
Also people gave me fabric as they know I sew. So the end result of doing that for 25 years was quite a lot of fabric.
I tried to up my sewing and reduce my buying :-)

I don't know anymore what I have in my stash. I abandonded my swatch system about 10 years ago. It was necessary until then as I sewed in a corner of the bedroom and kept the fabric in the loft in numbered boxes. However now I have a lovely cupboard in my dedicated sewing room. It is broadly sorted my knits, wovens and home decs and within those by colour, but sometimes things come out and get put back later elsewhere......

Ploshkin

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2018, 18:36:07 PM »
I've only got about 6 lengths of fabric waiting to be made up and I don't always know where to find them.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2018, 18:59:17 PM »
Those bl**dy sheep again eh @Ploshkin ? You can't trust the woolly bu****s  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sonatine

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2018, 22:05:41 PM »
I've started to gather things together to see how much I need to buy or if I can do the whole habit with things from my stash. So added to the initial suiting is a piece of medium weight navy cotton / poly cotton that I have absolutely no memory of buying - I didn't even know it was there until I found it in the bottom of a drawer. There's 1.5m so hopefully just about enough to line the jacket. Then I searched through my button jar and magically there were exactly the right number and sizes of blue fabric covered buttons. I've started colouring them in with black permanent marker to match the braid (a birthday present from at least four years ago) that I'll use to trim the neckline, bottom edge and sleeves.