The Sewing Place

House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th

Manuela

Re: House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:13 AM »
@renita feel free to clutter up this thread  :)
A picture of the chairs pulled apart would be perfectly fine.

Acorn

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 12:56:21 PM »
I have cut out the triangles for my child's quilt.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

They are in themes, one for each strip.  From bottom left, sky/weather (clouds, stars, frost, raindrops, rainbows), sea (puffins, seashells, otters, fish, mermaids),  sky/flying things (butterflies, birds, umbrellas), background (dark blue), land animals and tools (sheep/pigs, gardening, insects, ladybirds, woodland animals),  flowers (sunflowers, buttercups, daisies, raspberries).

This is the pattern:

The strips are going to go in this order from the bottom upwards:  sea, flowers, land, sky/flying things, sky/weather.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 15:03:58 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this, if I were to make a quilt I think I'd have to theme it. This appeals to my tidy brain.
Mary
2019 stash used so far :7.2m

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 14:10:20 PM »
I have an entry (or possibly two) coming along - I was just musing on the economics of paying lots for an embroidery machine to make machine embroidered hanging pockets to store the machine's hoops in...  :S

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 15:57:08 PM »
My silver piping finally arrived. Going to dig out the fabric and have a look at what supplies I have for my floor cushion.
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 100 metres
So far: 13.3m metres

My Blog - Plus Girl Sews // Follow me on Instagram :)

Efemera

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 20:36:16 PM »
Would a tea cosy count...the one I’m using is a disgrace :S

Manuela

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 18:39:40 PM »
Right, I'm not sure if this counts, if there's enough sewing in it, if not, then please ignore it, I shan't be offended  :)

I made a clock, a machine embroidered clock.  The design is on some sort of cotton/polycotton?? out of my stash, which I knew would pucker a bit with the embroidery, but I kinda like the effect.  I added the numbers to the design, and an "o" in the middle for the clock hands - I didn't quite get the middle in the middle perhaps?  The square outline should have been better positioned too, but I thought the machine had finished and removed it from the hoop, then didn't quite get it back in  in the right place.  A whole series of bodges, but hey, it tells the time  0_0

The embroidery was glued on to a piece of mdf using copydex, which worked ok-ish as the heavy stabiliser stopped the glue coming through the fabric.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 00:12:20 AM by Manuela »

fajita

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 18:43:59 PM »
Aren't you the clever girl!  :toast:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 18:54:31 PM »
And my second entry is a hanging thingy for the machine embroidery hoops.
More of the cotton/polycotton from stash, I carefully measured, and cut pockets of suitable sizes, then embroidered each before adding to the back.  I then checked the first hoop in the bottom pocket - lovely, then the second hoop and pocket - oh b^^^^^^s, it doesn't fit!!  That will be because I measured for the pockets using the 7" x 12" hoop instead of the 8"x 12"...
So, gussets!  You can't beat a couple of well place gussets.  Unfortunately my first attempt still wasn't wide enough, but a quick reduction of the seam allowance (note to self - unpick the old stitch line, not the one you've just restitched!) gave enough space for the hoops.  I then made a pocket at the top for a length of dowel, but made button holes to thread hanging cords through and round the dowel.  It hangs on the side of a stash-filled Billy bookcase/cupboard.
It does it's job  0_0

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 00:17:23 AM by Manuela »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper love the clock and the hanging pockets, both inspired!

Greybird

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
Here is my entry. When I finished working I decided to try and make use of the many pieces of vintage and antique textiles I had collected over years (note, a collection not a stash!), and I started making cushions like these. I did start selling them but after a bad experience with a place that took them on sale or return they got pushed into the loft where they remain to this day. Last week I came across my remaining collection and decided to make some more, so these are not out of the loft!
Two of them are using vintage crochet work and linen with a remnant of Ralph Lauren linen and the other is made from part of an antique Italian pillowslip that I bought in Florence and an oddment of French quilted linen. For the envelope backs I used a damask tablecloth. The "design" is led entirely by the limitations of the scraps of fabric. They are actually square although they don't look it in the photos.

Manuela

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 00:26:20 AM »

our first three entries
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 00:28:52 AM by Manuela »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
@Greybird, your cushions are absolutely beautiful!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
I've decided to make the Closet Case Pouf (free download) as a great way to use up scraps and somewhere comfortable to put my feet.
https://closetcasepatterns.com/fabric-floor-pouf-free-sewing-pattern/
(password for download is sewjo)

I'm hoping to do mine in blues/denim and will share once complete.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:30:58 PM by SewRuthieSews »