The Sewing Place

House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th

Acorn

Re: House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 09:11:10 AM »
I think your ideas are much better!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »
Depending on how big my scraps are I did think maybe the top could be a single piece, with just the side panels being different fabric. It wouldn't have the same look but would be easier.
I have a large quantity of dark blue upholstery fabric so could make the whole thing entirely from that but it rather defeats the purpose.

Also I note on the pattern itself it indicates that it can be closed with velcro instead of a long zip. I think I've got zip that are long enough though in the stash.

They use curtain net to make the inner bag, but I think I donated mine on the basis that I had nicer lace curtains instead and didn't need it. However its worth checking! They don't give a size for the inner bag but I can guesstimate something I am sure.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 20:14:38 PM »
I've spent a bit of time sorting scraps and have now cut out various shades of blue denim.
A lot of my scraps were too small so may get pieced for a tote bag or just used for the stuffing.

I have cut classic blue denim from some old jeans, and some floral denim from some jeans I made for myself (but hardly wore as the floral was a bit much) and then used some light coloured denim yardage for the base, using both the blue and natural sides for the panels. I will make it with the colours going round nicely in pairs as best I can.

I have scraps ready to stuff the pouf once its ready and I am already imagining other versions!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2019, 21:38:02 PM »
I might need to copy be inspired by Ruthie, but with a bit of a twist. Mine will have 8 fabrics pieced for the top, not the 12 wedges on the pattern. This way I can use squares to do half square triangles, making it much easier to match most of the center points without sinking into madness or sewing as many bias edges. You assemble them into a big square then cut the circle out. The trimmings can get added to the stuffing.  ;)

@SewRuthieSews  I just noticed in the comments at the pattern site that someone was concerned about the weight of it for moving it about, so they added strap handles to it. Might be a brilliant idea on your denim version. I've seen tuffets like this with a single strap handle and you could do that or a pair. Could get all fancy and use an old leather belt cut up and attach them with rivets.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 21:46:51 PM »
@Renegade Sewist I was planning to add handles made from yet more denim scraps, I have some bits put to one side to try it.
Quarters does sound easier now you mention it, but I've already cut all my pieces out and serged the edges ready for joining. I've also made an inner bag out of an old sheet and threaded a drawstring ready to stuff it.

If I don't get through to the next round of the PR Sewing Bee I'll carry on and finish the pouf as my next project.
If I do get through then depending on the challenge the pouf might need to get paused for a bit.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 21:59:02 PM »
Good luck with the PR Bee Ruthie.

I think the old sheet will be great for the inner bag. Just something light and flexible, bigger then the poof, that you can cram full of scraps.

Mine will wind up with Velcro. Glad you mentioned it. Came across a 2 yard length of sew in a couple of days ago so might as well use some of it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 07:49:17 AM »
If anyone fancied making it with chopped up jeans, the pockets would be handy around the sides. Specs, pens, remotes, phones.... 8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
The side panels are quite narrow, so I only managed to fit one front pocket from the old jeans. It has got rivets and things in it though which might cause sewing havoc. The other side seemed too curved for some reason and the back pockets were too wide for the panel so I've not included them, they might work on the 8 panel version.

I got through the the next round of the PR bee but the challenge doesn't get posted until 2pm UK time so I don't know what it will be (yet) so a bit more time to work on my pouf.

Manuela

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
Congratulations for making it to the next round @SewRuthieSews

I intend to make the pouf using a combination of old jeans and denim leftovers from the upholstery project in Thailand. If figure I patch the side panel together from what I have until I’ve reached the desired width, or make it something like 4 ‘blocks’.... that way I can include pockets and things...

Fiona M

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 15:20:25 PM »
My Entry:
 I made two Swedish peg bags as belated Xmas gifts for friends I don’t see very often. 
They’ve been handed over now, so I can share the photo.
One has a novelty cat print, and the other is two toning Kaffe Fassett fabrics.
I adapted the pattern after making a prototype.  The original pattern has a quilted fabric base, but these have a Perspex disc inserted to make them a little more ‘hardy’.
This is the original pattern https://lapp-elisa.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=9100171.IP81.154.17.247IP.6532.s0&product=131101new&productid=ptqlpegb&sales=0&lastmenu=

Sorry the photo isn’t the right way up, posted from my phone.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 13:45:39 PM by Manuela »

Lachica

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2019, 16:00:20 PM »
Sorting hats!! Lovely fabrics, I'm sure your friends are delighted
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Fiona M

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2019, 16:48:12 PM »
Yes!  They do look like sorting hats don’t they  :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2019, 17:16:03 PM »
They make me think of Moomintroll and Terry Pratchett!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2019, 18:38:37 PM »
@Fiona M what fun peg bags, they are much more interesting than the usual sort.

@Manuela sounds a sensible approach for the pouf.

Today I learned how to cut bias strips and make chunky piping. Can't quite believe I've been sewing all this time without having done that before. So I've got the piping ready now for the pouf pieces.

(the Sewing Bee theme is zippers and that's caused complete inspirational overload for me so I think I'll work on the pouf a bit more whilst processing things and deciding what to sew)

Manuela

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2019, 23:37:53 PM »
@Fiona M as long as you made them in January, they count. Just put an entry/submission post up here with pictures and description.

@toileandtrouble, after finishing the university assignment, I can finally read for pleasure again. I decided on Terry Pratchett and am chuckling away....