The Sewing Place

House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th

wrenkins

Re: House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2019, 07:27:06 AM »
I had to Google 'sorting hat'. I thought it was something to do with laundry.  0_0  0_0  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Fiona M

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2019, 07:54:16 AM »
@Fiona M as long as you made them in January, they count. Just put an entry/submission post up here with pictures and description.

Thanks @Manuela, I did make them in January, but not sure what you mean by an 'entry' post?  Do you want me to post again?  If so, what do i need to do differently?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:57:55 AM by Fiona M »

Fiona M

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
I had to Google 'sorting hat'. I thought it was something to do with laundry.  0_0  0_0  0_0

I always like to wear one when I'm sorting my laundry, doesn't everyone?   ;)

Manuela

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
Thanks @Manuela, I did make them in January, but not sure what you mean by an 'entry' post?  Do you want me to post again?  If so, what do i need to do differently?

@Fiona M, no need to do another post, just clearly mark your post as an entry, maybe add more pictures and tell uswhat pattern you used (if any). It helps if youadd the picture(s) into the text - then I don’t need to do it, and members can clearly see the picture(s) without having to clck on them).
Basically, anything that helps me to identify that this is actually your entry. Then I copy it into the voting thread.

Lachica

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 13:37:38 PM »

I always like to wear one when I'm sorting my laundry, doesn't everyone?   ;)

0_0 0_0 0_0 0_0
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2019, 13:47:40 PM »
@Fiona M, great, another entry - I sorted out the pictures for you  :)

Fiona M

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2019, 14:13:06 PM »
Thanks @Manuela  :flower:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »
My next project uses new outer fabric and only stash lining and it'll take me to the end of January to complete it so I'm bowing out of the stash contest now, I'm pleased with my entries so far and it's really helped motivate me to sew.

Manuela

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 16:24:42 PM »
My next project uses new outer fabric and only stash lining and it'll take me to the end of January to complete it so I'm bowing out of the stash contest now, I'm pleased with my entries so far and it's really helped motivate me to sew.
@SewRuthieSews, your last sentence makes me really happy  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 18:33:32 PM »
Sorry I wrote on the wrong topic there.
I will be sharing my pouf once it's done, here on House Beautiful.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2019, 08:22:11 AM »
Before I started on the PR Zipper challenge I was working on the Closet Case Ultimate Scrap Busting DIY Fabric Floor Pouf.
I returned to that yesterday and have made good progress.

https://closetcasepatterns.com/fabric-floor-pouf-free-sewing-pattern/

The directions say to sew using a 3/8" seam allowance but the pattern piece has 5/8" marked. I went with 3/8"  but my top section came out larger than the bottom. So I would suggest making the top first and then cutting the bottom to fit (then if the seam allowances are a bit off it'll still fit).
Also do make sure you sew pieces together to make 2 halves, I ended up with 3 thirds and it was tricky to do that last seam!

Mine is almost finished. Its 4 inches taller then the original (and somewhat wider due to the seam allowance thing). I added two handles, which are great for moving it about.

I plan to add a covered button to the centre to hide the mess where they don't meet neatly. And I will be adding lots more scraps (don't worry I have them!) to fill it out and make it nice and firm.

However this is what it looks like so far.

The plain dark blue denim was taken from actual jeans. These were thicker and had no stretch. all the other denim turned out to have some stretch which made the sewing quite interesting.
The floral denim was some jeans I sewed for myself but did not wear much because the floral was a bit much.
The light denim and grey looking denim are the right and worng sides of some 'reverse' denim that is pale on the right side with dark on the wrong side. The threads are indigo and off white but read as shades of grey here. The handles are in the floral denim. The base is in the dark side of the light denim. The zip on the base came from an old coat and is very chunky.
The inner lining is made from an old sheet and some cord from an old blind. Lots of recycling going on in this project.

I will share again once I've done the central covered button and fattened it up by feeding it even more scraps!

elisep

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
Well, I've finally made a start on my painted silk cushion.

I'm going with a peacock design. Trust me to chose such an intricate design for my first project!! (I have had a play around with the paints... making a sampler).
I've stretched the silk onto the frame, copied my design onto it and drawn the design out in gutta. It's now drying for a day before I can start painting. I have a sneaking suspicion that I might get some bleed through when I start painting... I think I may have thinned the gutta down too much (the black gutta... the white stuff will be fine and come out clear). I suppose I'll find out tomorrow!!

Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

elisep

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »
And the first side of my cushion is painted! I did get some bleed through in places, but with the right care (and a very dry brush) I managed to avoid the worst. Sadly I got bleed through in the most obvious place - his head feathers. Oh well, trying not to sweat the small stuff and be happy for my first attempt at silk painting!!
I used Dye Na Flow silk paints for this project - while they only need to be set with an iron, being a paint rather than a dye, they do leave a little bit of a hand on the fabric. Not an issue for something like a cushion, but before I start making wearable pieces (my ultimate aim) I will have to source some proper dyes (and research how to steam set them  :\ ).

Mr Peacock is still stretched in my frame, he needs to dry for 24 hours before I can iron set him. The salt you can see in the photo will hopefully create an interesting effect by drawing some of the paint out of the fabric. I'm not sure how well it works with the dye na flow, we'll find out.

Now, just the reverse side of my cushion to go (oh, and actually putting it together  :P). I think I'm going to do peacock feathers on a white background, and change my colour scheme to pinks and purples. This way I can use the "front" side with one of my quilt covers and the "back" side with another.
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

fajita

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2019, 08:25:47 AM »
That's lovely. And a first attempt!  Talent!

Fiona M

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2019, 08:33:47 AM »
@elisep Beautiful, Bravo!