The Sewing Place

House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th

Manuela

House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th
« on: December 09, 2018, 01:34:08 AM »
This contest stretches over two months, anything suitable that has been created in the stash busting contest can also be sumitted here as an entry. Below are the rules:

1. Sew something beautiful or useful (or both) for a home (yours or someone else's).

2. Home Decor is defined as anything used to decorate a home, indoor or out (e.g., curtains, cushions, quilts, tablecloths, bed linens, slipcovers, rag/patchwork/pom pom rugs, blinds, upholstery.....).

3. The items entered must include a significant sewn component. Remember this is a sewing competition, not a craft contest. (Eg: a sewn slipcover would qualify, but reupholstering a chair using only a staple gun would not qualify.)

4. You can enter multiple coordinating items as part of a single entry in the contest. (eg: a tablecloth and napkins, a duvet and pillow covers, etc).

5. You may enter multiple entries in the contest (but keep in mind you will be competing against yourself.)

6. Sewing starts on January 1st and finishes on February 28th - please submit pictures and a quick write up of your entries in this thread by March 7th.

7. Any Pattern can be used (commercial, self-drafted, combinations, downloaded , magazine patterns) or no pattern. If you are using a self drafted pattern, or no pattern at all.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:36:08 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 00:23:54 AM »
I hope someone will join me here. My project is fairly small, a wooden swivel armchair that we use in Thailand on our patio - in desperate need of some new fabric. I want it to go with the living room furniture, hence I’ll use a patchwork denim. The back bit is easy, just a rectangular cushion cover, the seating bit requires cutting off the old (velvet, in the tropics *shudders in horror*) cover and using it as a pattern/template for the new one. Both covers are fitted and have zippers.
I might do a throw cushion, covered with perforated denim as well.
We’re off to Thailand on Friday, December 21st and come back in early January. If I can get the preparation out of the way before Christmas, I’ll be able to finish on January 2nd....
I might have another smallish project for Thailand when we’re there in February over Chinese New Year.

Here the patchwork denim

... and the perforated denim....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Existing furniture the swivel chair needs to go with

ETA: Images of the existing living room furniture. I did that upholstery job last year
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 13:19:03 PM by Manuela »

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 07:06:26 AM »
Manuela: I REALLY need to join you on this one. My choices are many, but with Christmas and other things at the moment, not sure what I will do first. Bedspread and shams, drapes, shades, upholster two side chairs (sewing involved), throw pillows, table treatments and the entire list needs to be completed by the end of February! (Obviously I will need to prioritize.) -<

I tend to fly thru home dec projects within a day or two, but the bedspread would be a major undertaking. Not even sure the harp of my machine would allow me to do what I want to do.

I'll be joining in after the first.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
 I should be joining in as well. The main idea I'm considering for Stash Busting fits here as well and there are a couple of other things under consideration.

I know I couldn't do much for a bedspread on my machine. The Brother SE-400 is a lovely machine to work with BUT it's more of a 3/4 size machine so not much throat space. It was a challenge doing simple quilting on a throw not quite twin sized. I've got two larger quilts basted but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to clean up an older Singer I've got and use it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

justpottering

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
You never know I might join in this one moving into a new house this week in need of 7 pairs of curtains and 2 blinds (one in three sections) then there the accessories  :)
What I don't know get is what will be done within the timescale as everywhere needs decorating first and a couple of walls knocked down which will keep me busy!

Can't wait to see the entries  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 23:24:48 PM »
@Francesca I do find they hang better with a wider hem, or a little weight in the hem. Not from my own sewing experience mind you. Last curtains I made were from a twin sheet and might not have even gotten hemmed. Thirty years ago. They got no sun and light use. I found the fabric in a box a couple of years ago and turned them into pillow slips, which turned into my favorite pair. Go figure.

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 03:43:57 AM »
I assume a quilted wall hanging will qualify.  I bought some black laser cut killer whales (the fabric is black) when I was in Alaska and want to make a sea theme wall hanging with them for Mr MC.  The package comes with suggested fabrics so I'll probably just go with it.

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:57 AM »
I assume a quilted wall hanging will qualify.  I bought some black laser cut killer whales (the fabric is black) when I was in Alaska and want to make a sea theme wall hanging with them for Mr MC.  The package comes with suggested fabrics so I'll probably just go with it.
Yes @mudcat that definitely qualifies  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »
I'm due to make a window seat cushion for my friend's house, however it is currently undergoing renovation and the time frame may not fit.

However that may be an encouragement for me do do something for my own place instead.
I have been thinking about covers for the folding mattresses so they look more like footstools in their folded form.
(I don't have a guest room so I have a sofa bed and 2 folding mattresses should guests wish to stay).

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
I'd like to think that the quilt I'm going to make for my Goddaughter will be made during this time period... no promises though! 

This also gives me an excuse not to start it just yet - and I'm hoping Father Christmas will bring me a cutting machine thingy, so I might get the cutting out started before January 1st... actually the timing of this could have been designed for me!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 15:34:45 PM »
Here is the chair in its current incarnation - it has an odd shape, the seat is about as wide as 1 1/2 chairs, which means it’s really comfy and one can curl up in it. So, it could do with another cushion methinks.

Here the offending old cover (only the seat part, I threw the cushion cover away last time we were here) 100% polyester velvet - in the tropics!!!  I cut the seat cover apart to use it as a pattern for the new one.
We didn’t buy the chair, the place was half furnished by the developer when we bought it. While the wood quality is excellent, the fabrics they used leave a lot to be desired. The sofa was also covered in polyester, I changed all that last year - then I ran out of steam.....

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:31:48 AM by Manuela »

mudcat

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 21:05:48 PM »
This is the wall hanging I want to do.  I'll have to go through the cotton stash to find some appropriate sea colors.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 02:27:01 AM »
Well this competition has spurred me in and I've ended up starting my curtain early, it's nearly done! I just need to get some curtain hooks tomorrow so I can do a test hanging and pin the hem length. Oops, maybe there's something else around the house that needs doing.

I’ll probably finish the chair cover before January too. Just don’t want to wait any longer. Atleast the contest sparked my interest in making it again. After doing the upholstery last year, wrestling something like 12 yards of heavy weigth denim I just didn’t get my head around doing the last little bit.
My next project would be my version of that fishy appliqué quilt I fell in love with (pictures at The Darkside), but that’ll take a year or more....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:29:25 AM by Manuela »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 03:51:06 AM »
@Francesca  and @Manuela , early, late, on time....whatevah. We still want to see pictures when you're done.  ;)

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 15:06:02 PM »
Having ditched the shopping planned for today and changed late lunch plans into an early dinner..... I’m almost done.
Good thing too, as son #1 rather likes the chair and covered the cushions with towels to sit, swivel and relax in it....
Hmm, maybe I should use the contests as motivation and inspiration to get things done.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 16:14:09 PM by Manuela »