Manuela

Re: House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 00:20:05 AM »
Would a tea cosy count...the one I’m using is a disgrace :S

Yes, it would   :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 18:39:40 PM »
Right, I'm not sure if this counts, if there's enough sewing in it, if not, then please ignore it, I shan't be offended  :)

I made a clock, a machine embroidered clock.  The design is on some sort of cotton/polycotton?? out of my stash, which I knew would pucker a bit with the embroidery, but I kinda like the effect.  I added the numbers to the design, and an "o" in the middle for the clock hands - I didn't quite get the middle in the middle perhaps?  The square outline should have been better positioned too, but I thought the machine had finished and removed it from the hoop, then didn't quite get it back in  in the right place.  A whole series of bodges, but hey, it tells the time  0_0

The embroidery was glued on to a piece of mdf using copydex, which worked ok-ish as the heavy stabiliser stopped the glue coming through the fabric.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 00:12:20 AM by Manuela »

fajita

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 18:43:59 PM »
Aren't you the clever girl!  :toast:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 18:54:31 PM »
And my second entry is a hanging thingy for the machine embroidery hoops.
More of the cotton/polycotton from stash, I carefully measured, and cut pockets of suitable sizes, then embroidered each before adding to the back.  I then checked the first hoop in the bottom pocket - lovely, then the second hoop and pocket - oh b^^^^^^s, it doesn't fit!!  That will be because I measured for the pockets using the 7" x 12" hoop instead of the 8"x 12"...
So, gussets!  You can't beat a couple of well place gussets.  Unfortunately my first attempt still wasn't wide enough, but a quick reduction of the seam allowance (note to self - unpick the old stitch line, not the one you've just restitched!) gave enough space for the hoops.  I then made a pocket at the top for a length of dowel, but made button holes to thread hanging cords through and round the dowel.  It hangs on the side of a stash-filled Billy bookcase/cupboard.
It does it's job  0_0

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 00:17:23 AM by Manuela »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper love the clock and the hanging pockets, both inspired!

Greybird

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
Here is my entry. When I finished working I decided to try and make use of the many pieces of vintage and antique textiles I had collected over years (note, a collection not a stash!), and I started making cushions like these. I did start selling them but after a bad experience with a place that took them on sale or return they got pushed into the loft where they remain to this day. Last week I came across my remaining collection and decided to make some more, so these are not out of the loft!
Two of them are using vintage crochet work and linen with a remnant of Ralph Lauren linen and the other is made from part of an antique Italian pillowslip that I bought in Florence and an oddment of French quilted linen. For the envelope backs I used a damask tablecloth. The "design" is led entirely by the limitations of the scraps of fabric. They are actually square although they don't look it in the photos.

Manuela

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 00:26:20 AM »

our first three entries
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 00:28:52 AM by Manuela »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
@Greybird, your cushions are absolutely beautiful!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
I've decided to make the Closet Case Pouf (free download) as a great way to use up scraps and somewhere comfortable to put my feet.
https://closetcasepatterns.com/fabric-floor-pouf-free-sewing-pattern/
(password for download is sewjo)

I'm hoping to do mine in blues/denim and will share once complete.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:30:58 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Acorn

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
Oh I like that!  I have quite a few furnishing remnants.    :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »
I've printed off the pattern, but need to stick it together. Then I can have a journey into the loft to look at the bags of mysterious scraps.

Manuela

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 13:23:50 PM »
That is a brilliant project @SewRuthieSews, thank you for the link as well. That would be a great way to use up all the denim leftovers from upholstering the furniture in Thailand  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 20:40:15 PM »
I now have my pattern taped together and cut out. I decided I would make mine taller so have cut the side panel 4 inches (10 cm) longer than drafted.

I found a few examples which people have made up, and its interesting to see that some are very even with the fabric panel colour and have exactly meeting centre points, others are more random. I suspect I might have trouble making all my triangles neatly match in the centre!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 00:23:32 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Acorn

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 21:08:15 PM »
Yes - I thought it was a bit low as designed.

If/when I get around to making it I shall consider appliqueing a shape over the centre if the points aren't as good as I'd like.  Either a circle or a dodecagon (12 sides - I looked it up!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 22:10:35 PM »
I thought maybe just a large central button covering that bit, or if I use recycled jeans a cheeky pocket.
I don't know yet I'll see what it looks like once I've finished the top, given I've not even got the bags of scraps out of the loft yet, I'm just imaging lots of denim up there.