The Sewing Place

HELP ... Is Elvis acting up or is it operator error?

Iminei

Re: HELP ... Is Elvis acting up or is it operator error?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 18:55:03 PM »
your tension should never be on 0.  That means there is no tension at all!

Its just what its set at ???
Shall I play with 3 then ...is that +3  or -3 or just 3?

I really need taking by the hand and shown how to work this machine but I still insist Brother are C*** at tutorials at least the online kind.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:10:19 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 19:12:52 PM »
My tension is usually automatically set to 2.8 (for embroidery), but I often have to reduce this to 0 (or what my machine calls 0) in order to stop the bobbin thread from showing on top.  I think you have to treat the stated tension as a relative thing rather than a definite number.

My machine likes Gutermann thread, but if it's variegated it reserves the right to throw it up.  Madeira, too is usually great, but occasionally it takes a dislike to a specific reel.  Metallics of either brand are better with a topstitch needle than a metallic one for some reason.  It hates Sim threads, which is a shame because I have a lot of them.  I sometimes try to sneak one in, but I never get away with it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 20:05:45 PM »
@Iminei where did you buy your machine?   If you buy from a shop they should show you how to use it.  Not sure if you would have a -3 on your machine.   :[.  Just 3 or +3.  Do a sample and see what happens. 
@Acorn when you have the tension set at 0 can you pull the thread through?   If so there is no tension and there should be.  As regards Sim threads, I would advise you not to use them.  I have seen several machines that have had to be repaired and parts replaced because of this thread.  I worked for a Brother engineer. 

Celia

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 21:03:34 PM »
@Iminei on your machine 0 is normal it goes from +8 to -8 this is total span of tension, so to increase tension you go up to decrease you go down.  As you know I work with Husqvarna and Pfaff machines usually and the brother is completely different.

I think we need a workshop at some time  :loveit:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 21:47:16 PM »
@Celia that’s good to know. Obviously different to the others.

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 08:05:03 AM »
Bring it on @Celia  ....

Morning: The Darkside or Elvis ... Afternoon: Elvis or The Darkside

So if the top thread is showing on the reverse which do I need to do ?? + or - ???

@Ohsewsimple ... Ive never had a new, new machine in my life.

I've always bought from someone selling ... usually very lil used machines and in the case of The Splurge, she came with the lil piece of red sticky tape still in place over the swing out door which houses all the needle mechanics !!!
So completely unused ... there was something going on with that sale but it was legal as the vendor had the receipt and everything so I got the benefit!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:09:27 AM by Iminei »

Celia

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 08:43:22 AM »
@Iminei I will see what I can do busy next week but after that.......

If you want to try loosening the top tension it is the minus numbers you need. In your instruction book there is a good example on page 64.

Don’t expect the back to look even some machines are better than others with this but even the top of the range machines struggle with some of the fonts.

Hope you day gets better, I am in the middle of having to get rid of a small wardrobe  to give Missy (My Siamese cat) more room around her box, so a busy day trying to find homes for things before I can even find my sewing stuff

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »
So loosening top tension = -1,2,3 = only bobbin thread on bottom ???

Celia

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
Sorry @Iminei  I forgot which way you needed to change, to tighten the tension it is the opposite so go to the plus numbers, sometimes if you have too much thread on the bottom it can mean your tension on the top is too loose so try tightening, more often the problem people are trying to deal with is bobbin thread showing on the top.

Have you looked at the examples in the instruction book?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »
You will always get top thread showing on the bottom, in fact my manual shows this is how it should be, and on a narrow letter, the underneath will be mostly top thread!  If you want a neater look, then wind some of your top thread onto your bobbin.

Kad

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 17:28:01 PM »
You will always get top thread showing on the bottom, in fact my manual shows this is how it should be, and on a narrow letter, the underneath will be mostly top thread!  If you want a neater look, then wind some of your top thread onto your bobbin.
I agree, my Janome does exactly the same and according to the photo in the manual it's as expected. As long as the bobbin thread isn't 'baggy' you're fine. If it is then you have a tension problem.
PS when embroidering, according to the manual, I have to reduce the foot pressure  slightly for best results. Not sure why but it works.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Morgan

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 18:00:59 PM »
It's a built in font, stitched as a small size and sewn with a satin stitch.

Frankly that's what that type and size of built in lettering tends to look like when it's stitched.

Also the amount of top thread showing on the back on the very narrow satin columns is probably about right - it's a photo so I can't say for sure.
Whenever I've used Brother machines, I've found the default tension settings tend to be appropriate for most things and rarely need adjusting.

For what it's worth, my opinion is - The top / bottom thread balance looks like I'd expect it to look with that type and size of lettering

There's always going to be a point of compromise with built in lettering sewn out at small sizes.
One of the tests of a good professional digitiser and embroiderer is to digitise and produce clear small lettering - usually they do it by using small size needles and very fine thread eg. 60wt rather than the standard 40wt embroidery thread.  It's one of the hardest things to get right.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 18:06:02 PM by Morgan »

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 19:29:31 PM »
Well its done and the binding is sewn, the sleeve and label attached!

linky

Just a few small metallic stars to stitch and its complete!

Celia

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 21:27:18 PM »
Looks great you have done a lovely job

Nuttywife59

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 22:29:57 PM »
If it's any help the default tension on your machine is correct when it says 0. I had 1250 which is the sewing and embroidery version of your 
machine. It doesn't mean you have no tension at it, it's the way Brother sets it.