The Sewing Place

Which scissors

sewmuchmore

Which scissors
« on: December 10, 2018, 17:28:51 PM »
I am looking for new 8/9 inch bent handle scissors. The ones I have now are KAI N5230 but due to you know who using them to cut his guitar strings they now have a chunk out of one of the blades. (it will not sharpen out).

I have looked at this make and also Gingher and Mundial as well as Fiskar, I do have Fiskar pinking shears and 10 inch straight scissors.

Any thought please on the best make? I He has a budget of £50
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

Re: Which scissors
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 17:32:31 PM »
...due to you know who using them to cut his guitar strings they now have a chunk out of one of the blades...

Just out of curiosity, does he still have all of his body parts?   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 17:41:06 PM »
I've got Fiskars servocut 21cm scissors with a cranked handle  that I use for all my cutting out.  I've had them for 6 or 7 years and they are still super sharp right to the tips.  I have arthritis at the base of my thumb but they are lightweight and very comfortable to use.  I think they're about £25
Life's too short for ironing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 18:11:08 PM »
William Whiteley of Sheffield have some sidebent scissors in your price range.
https://whiteley.co.uk/product-category/craft/

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 19:08:27 PM »
I have Ginghers and Fiskars.  The Fiskars are very good and I've had lots of use out of them for many years, however, the Ginghers are amazing.

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 04:36:04 AM »
I've a pair of Ketzer I use.   A lot lighter but just as good as Kai.  Only thing I wish I would have done was buy 10" and not listened to the seller and got the 8".

And Ketzer will support their scissors regardless of where you buy them unlike Kai.

I have all kinds.  Gingher and Ketzer are my go to.  I use both pretty equally.

Editing to add: I also hate having to pay more for left handed scissors.  Gingher and Ketzer are the same price (the latter doesn't have a true left handed, but ambidextrous which is fine) and Kai is usually $20 higher.  Which makes me pbbbt to them because I am not a freak of nature that has to pay more for scissors to work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:37:40 AM by Kwaaked »

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
Kretzer do make left handed shears
https://www.kretzershop.de/Professional/Industrial-Production/KRETZER-SPIRALE-Tailors-Shears-lefthanded-8-0-20-cm::593.html?language=en

Scissors can't be ambidextrous - they are either for right handed use, or for left handed use  depending on which blade is on top.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Because most scissors are designed for right handed use a lot of people who are left handed have learned to adapt the way they they use them.  The natural way to use scissors is to squeeze the hand and pull the fingers, and thus the blades, together as you close them.  A left handed person using right handed scissors, or a right handed person using left handed scissors, has to intentionally pull on the thumb and push on the fingers as the blades close.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 10:46:41 AM »
I also hate having to pay more for left handed scissors. 

A couple of years ago I bought two pairs of cheap craft scissors for the grandchildren to use with paper.  The left handed pair (identical in all other ways) was actually a few pence less than the right handed ones.  I suspect the right handed ones were newer stock which had come in at a slightly higher price.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »
Kretzer do make left handed shears
https://www.kretzershop.de/Professional/Industrial-Production/KRETZER-SPIRALE-Tailors-Shears-lefthanded-8-0-20-cm::593.html?language=en

Scissors can't be ambidextrous - they are either for right handed use, or for left handed use  depending on which blade is on top.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Because most scissors are designed for right handed use a lot of people who are left handed have learned to adapt the way they they use them.  The natural way to use scissors is to squeeze the hand and pull the fingers, and thus the blades, together as you close them.  A left handed person using right handed scissors, or a right handed person using left handed scissors, has to intentionally pull on the thumb and push on the fingers as the blades close.

Now, I know they do but in the USA they call them ambi and do not carry them nor can I get them.  I have no idea why I wrote it like that, except it's what I was told and it was late.

Half my scissors are right handed, anyway.  I can cut with either pair fine. I prefer lefties but then again, freak of nature thing, too. As to cutting, I cut the exact same way you describe, left handed scissors or not.  To me that is the natural way to use scissors.  And I cut the same way with my right hand.

Here it is where they claim the ambi: https://www.amazon.com/10-Kretzer-Household-Sewing-Scissor/dp/B003AWF0DW/ref=asc_df_B003AWF0DW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=238395584528&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13985841214903736661&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013654&hvtargid=pla-392342723890&psc=1

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 13:10:11 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought two pairs of cheap craft scissors for the grandchildren to use with paper.  The left handed pair (identical in all other ways) was actually a few pence less than the right handed ones.  I suspect the right handed ones were newer stock which had come in at a slightly higher price.

In Europe they don't seem to treat left handed-ness as anything other then an option.  I don't recall even having to play musical chairs in dinner to accommodate me, which happens here frequently and only one person commented on my left hand...which was my cousin in Holland since everyone but his brother in law was left handed (more along the line of Hey!  Look, true LastName...even Lefty!)

I still get told several times a year in the US I have the devil in me or something equivalent. 

I think the social acceptance plays a part.  In Japan, like America, there is negative connotation toward left handed-ness and they typically charge more for tools (not always, it is changing). 

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 14:02:36 PM »
I have the Kai 9.5" dressmakers and I love them. Not only because they are lightweight, but also because the grips accomodate my huge "man hands" which is important these days with the arthritis setting into my fingers. My sis bought me a pair of Ginghers last xmas. They also cut nicely and I switch out and cut with them from time to time -sort of like changing shoes throughout the day to accomodate sore feet.

I like having both pairs - no need to worry if one needs to go in for sharpening. Both cost just over $50.

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 14:37:42 PM »
I use these
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/scissors_f9911#.XA_Kk3T7TIU

they were recommended to me by the tutor when I was doing an upholstery course.  They are spring-loaded which makes them very comfortable to use - especially if you have any mobility problems in your hands.  For some reason they seem to be frowned on a bit because they aren`t "traditonal" scissors but I wouldn`t swap mine for anything else

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 17:41:21 PM »
Well decided, after much research, to stick with the soft touch KAI profession range. But little does he know I have also ordered some serrated edge as well as knife edge and a pair of embroidery scissors from same range. That will teach him to use my scissors and to trust me with his credit card.
By the way did I mention that a border hoop for my embroidery machine also fell of the shelf into my basket as the same time. So he is now down about £300.  :devil: :devil:
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewbusy

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 07:03:54 AM »
I have a pair go KAI N5230 which I purchased about 10 years ago. They were actually marketed under the Janome name and label, have lilac handles and have the KAI N5230 clearly marked on the angled part of the blade and KNIFE EDGE on the lower blade itself, fabulous scissors and I wouldn't have realised they were KAI without reading this thread. Have looked current Janome scissors and they are definitely not the same.

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 00:55:14 AM »
I've seen Kai scissors marketed under both Prym and Janome brands. I only have their ergonomic snips but they're tremendous so I'll consider them next time I'm shopping for scissors.

I love my Gingher 5" Classic Knife Edge scissors. They are so silky smooth and slice through layers of thick fabric with ease. More expensive but hard to resist I think.

I've been very disappointed with Fiskars, however. Their snips were horrible. I'm right handed but they roll and twist in my hand as I press the blades together. I soon replaced them with the Kai. I also bought a pair of Fiskars Amplify 24cm scissors which rapidly became blunt and no longer cut to the end of the blade. I did use them on lycra which I sew regularly and it's really tough on scissors, I know, but I was disappointed nonetheless.

For a great economical scissor I've been really impressed with the Westcott Titanium Bonded scissors. Mine are still cutting through lycra without trouble 4 years on. The price I see them sold for fluctuates but I paid around the price shown in the link.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.