The Sewing Place

Preserving Silk

Sonatine

Preserving Silk
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
I've recently been given some beautiful late Victorian / early Edwardian garments including a black silk blouse. As far as I'm aware it has lived in a plastic bag in a wardrobe for the last few years. The silk is incredibly delicate, and in some places it has deteriorated to almost nothing. I know that silk does start to degrade over time, is there anything I can do to try to preserve it or is it inevitable that it will eventually disintegrate?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:56:31 PM by Sonatine »

Sewbusy

Re: Preserving Silk
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
I don't think the plastic bag will have done the silk any favours and the damage is unlikely to be repaired or removed. However to preserve it in the condition it is, wrap gently but securely with acid free tissue paper, folding the paper between the the garment  (using many sheets to achieve this and the store in a cardboard box in a damp proof place away from sunlight.
If anyone knows a better way I'm happy to learn.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 17:29:53 PM »
The culprit for causing the silk to diintegrate is most likely the black dye and all the nasty chemicals in said dye.  There's not really much you can do to save it other than museum type conservation where a fine but strong net is applied to support it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 18:59:49 PM »
I don't know what they do in museums, but I have seen a team use years on a dress and it goes from literally torn rags to looking like new again. They only do it to special pieces worth the effort. On the other hand, they recommend storing silk in a dry environment, acid free carboard box wrapped in acid free tissue paper. They advice not to use plastic bags for some reason, though I guess it protects better than nothing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 23:12:44 PM »
Plastics can off-gas, and those gasses will damage silk and other textiles.  That's why they say not to store in plastic bags.
https://www.cowaymega.com/what-is-off-gassing/

Silk is very susceptable to acidic or alkaline conditions.  A lot of papers, and cardboard especially, have a wood pulp content which is very acidic and that's why it's always recommended that for long term starage silk (and other textiles) are wrpaped in acid-free tissue, and also that that tissue should be replaced every couple of years as it will gradually absorb acid.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
In the 1718 coverlet
the most deteriorated pieces were the black silk fabrics.

Just saying.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

arrow

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 13:16:35 PM »
I wouldn't generalize too much from one case of black silk. I guess there were various methods of dying fabrics black. Mariano Fortunay "Delfi" dresses are know to still be intact with out restoration work. They came rolled up in carboard boxes and to keep the crepe fabric nice it was recommended they were to be stored in the same way. Get the right quality carboard and tissue paper for the purpose and this storage technique works. There are odd cases were old silk garments have been found in unusually good shape, sometimes they have decided to keep on storing them in the same place because of the favorable conditions. In museum storage they are kept in special closets and drawers, in rooms with controlled humidity and temperature, but still wrapped in tissue paper.

A lady who worked with fabrics at a museum, (clothes, carpets, curtains,...) gave this instruction for someone who wanted to take care of an old item; it was either the cardboard box method, and another way was; To wash a white 100% cotton sheet on 95C with washing powder, then another round in the washing  machine at 95C with out any detergent. This was to be dried with out being ironed just strethced and smoothed out when wet.  You had to go through the double wash even on brand new sheet as well as and old sheet you might have. The point was to have reasonably sturdy woven cotton with out traces of fabric softeners, detergents, or anything left over from production. It  had to be white and no dyes in the fibers. The garment you wanted to store safely should carefully be rolled up or wrapped in the sheet. It was an alternative when it was difficult to fit things in a box or store a large enough box.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 13:54:33 PM by arrow »

arrow

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 18:44:35 PM »
There might be something to the outer plastic. A cardboard box bougth before WWII was covered with contact paper (which I think is a kind of pvc with a sticky backside), what's on the inside is in strangely good condition.