The Sewing Place

Butterick 6254

Morgan

Butterick 6254
« on: April 01, 2017, 20:55:37 PM »
Third time I've made this one, and the 2nd made for a friend who wants a light summer coat/cardigan.
Alterations were made to the pattern.
Fabric from Fabworks £2.50 per metre in recent sale
In real life it's a lovely soft and stable fabric with a little give in real life and it's a dream to sew.

Just one of the things I've sewn recently - mostly sewing from stash.

(Apologise for sideways pics - did try to post them in the gallery, but ended up here as attachments instead)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:47:23 AM by Morgan »

Vegegrow

Re: Butterick 6254
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 21:01:03 PM »
Oh thats lovely Morgan.. what did you make the other two in?... of to look at Fabworks.. new site for me
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 21:20:43 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Morgan

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 21:06:04 PM »
Vegegrow, On the link you can see the first which was a grey ponte with a ridge effect and was made to test whether the pattern would work for an idea I had for a special occasion outfit.  The alterations made are covered on the original review.
The second was made for a friend in the navy colourway of the same ponte as the first version.  This was made at the request of a close friend and the latest black and white one is for the same friend.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:45:32 AM by Morgan »

Snippet

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 21:24:09 PM »
That's gorgeous - love the shape!

Is it lined?

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 21:24:37 PM »
Oh I like that one too.. is it lined
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 21:49:13 PM »
Love it! <3

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 21:59:04 PM »
Great pattern and love the fabric.
Procrastination get behind me

Snippet

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 22:02:05 PM »
I just bought the pattern on eBay....

:) :) :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
Vegegrow, the first was a grey ponte with a ridge effect and was made to test whether the pattern would work for an idea I had for a special occasion outfit.
The second was made for a friend in the navy colourway of the same ponte as the first version.  This was made at the request of a close friend and the latest black and white one is for the same friend.

So is there going to be a 4th for a special occasion.. and what will it be made from?

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »
It's a great pattern, I will have a look at that.  The fabric wouldn't suit me, I'm too small for busy patterns in large doses but it is very striking for the right person and the piping is spot on.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 08:38:42 AM »
Oh I like that one too.. is it lined

The pattern description says it's UNLINED.  There are some great makes on PatternReview and I particularly like this

@Morgan: love your interpretation.

jen

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 15:27:31 PM »
Super fabric, the site is going on my list. What a nice shape the coat has too.

Morgan

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 16:05:37 PM »
Is it lined?
It's designed to be unlined and the ones I've made have been unlined, although I have made my own adapted facings to better support the back.

On the first version I used a HongKong binding finish and you can see the pics of that on the review on PR (together with the adapted facings).  On the others I used overlocking to finish the seam allowances after stitching the seam.

Provided that the lower sleeve is widened a bit, it would be fairly straight forward to line it by using the same pattern pieces.  That said, because of the (unstable) grain direction on the centre back seam of the yoke, I would stabilise the  lining for that section by either applying a woven interfacing to take over the grain or adapt the pattern pieces to get the back yoke of the lining on a stable grain.

This is one of those designs where the choice of the colour/pattern of the fabric makes a great deal of difference to how it looks when worn.

Zigzag

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 16:50:34 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous and professional. Well done :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 17:49:57 PM »
That's a fab coat, Morgan. Very professional finish. I've used that pattern for a coat in a double sided melton type fabric. Because it had no stretch I cut it wider round the shoulders which worked fine. The collar is very snug and can't be fastened. The lower sleeves were also too tight for a coat so had to add triangle shapes of fabric.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde