The Sewing Place

I do not want to Machine embroider

jesster

Re: I do not want to Machine embroider
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 22:46:11 PM »
Me, too, on most of this.  I have a stained glass studio that I would love to use, but various health limitations make it challenging.  Not ready to let that go yet.  Photography is still a hobby and so much simpler in the digital age.  I do not miss film, chemicals and a dark room in the slightest.
For the most part, I keep returning to sewing and knitting, both by hand and machine.  I make things for fun or because I want something that I can't buy (for whatever reason). 
I donated a lot of quilting supplies to a local guild recently, keeping the basic rulers and a few favorite fabric pieces in case inspiration strikes.
It's harder to let go of sewing machines.  I have my grandmother's treadle, which is beautiful to look at, but I much prefer sewing on my TOL (but now headed toward vintage) electric machines.  I do still take out my little Featherweight just for the fun of using it.  I have a few other vintage machines that I bought for next to nothing.  It was fun cleaning and fixing them but I think I'd rather have the storage space they use now.

Sewingsue

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »
Another problem is seeing something you like, but not knowing whether you would enjoy making it (or be able to learn how to) until you try.

I did that with cross stitch after seeing the beautiful examples at craft shows and having friends who find it relaxing.
Relaxing? Seriously? Fortunately I bought one small kit which I did finish, but never again.

Right now I have a half knitted jacket started because I liked the ones on display at a craft show.
I can knit, but not that well and this is four yarns on 15mm needles.

Fairly obvious pattern developing.

Then there is my ability to make plans about things I would like to do (and know I am capable of doing) but never getting beyond thinking. You know that saying about the road to hell?
Road? No.
Dual carriageway? No.
Motorway? No.
One of those multi-lane US highways? Yup.  :(
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bowerbird

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
@Sewingsue, maybe making plans is your hobby. If it brings you joy, embrace it.

"We" thought we might like to go on a fancy holiday in July next year. I had that thing so well planned I could have booked everythingfor an 8 week holiday in half an hour from start to finish.

I love planning.

Actually I love anything that keeps me from the dreaded h*^#^)&#!k.

Sewingsue

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
Oh, procrastination @Bowerbird now that I am good at.

Actually, thinking about it, making plans but not carrying them out doesn't make me happy. More 'see - not doing, failing, that's what you are good at'.
Oh dear, I do seem to have had a bout of soul-baring. Apologies.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 13:20:53 PM »
Every now and again I get the knitting urge.  Last time, looked lovely, just like the pattern, until I tried on, my shoulder piece from my neck is short, this was too long so sleeves hung over.   Wool was expensive, decided to try and redo but still in an old suitcase waiting for action.  Trouble is our weather is no longer what you might call cold in winter, odd bits but mostly on the wet side, so you don't need heavy weights/extra warm in central heated homes.  So I've decided no more knitting plus I can make stuff with a machine much quicker.

Years ago I gave up painting because not enough time and needed to be in the 'mood'.   Sewing is the hobby that has last the longest and has been the most useful so I think I will stick.  The thing will hobbies you tend to throw money at them before you realise it's not for you, which is why I have five cameras and only ever use one, and generally because it is extra  weight, finish up with only a phone camera on me.

I think I have finally learned my lesson.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 14:22:33 PM »
Photography is still a hobby and so much simpler in the digital age.  I do not miss film, chemicals and a dark room in the slightest.
@jesster photography was my big interest for many years but I gave up when things went digital.  I loved the darkroom processes and the manipulation of images and would use the same negatives many times over with different printing techniques.  These days I'm not interested in anything more than pointing and shooting.
I've never really considered sewing a hobby - it's just something I've always done since the age of about 4. 
Life's too short for ironing.

jesster

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 15:40:28 PM »
@Ploshkin - yes, I enjoy the manipulation parts as well.  I use Photoshop these days.  That has a learning curve also but can produce interesting effects.  Once, it was possible to rent time in a darkroom in the nearest large town.  That worked, but fees and limited time slots were an issue.  I did a little work with printing color slides but color was difficult and expensive to do.  Mostly it was B&W. Were you able to have your own dark room?
I agree - I call sewing a hobby now, but it's always just been a part of what I do since I was old enough to manage a needle and thread.
The thing with hobbies you tend to throw money at them before you realise it's not for you
@Gernella - This is exactly how the local quilt guild got my donation.  I had supplies for far more quilts than I would ever make, all because I can't resist colorful fabric prints!

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 15:54:25 PM »
I didn't start sewing until I was 66  :o @Ploshkin so it's no wonder I'm a bit of  lagger-behind  :D
No one in my family ( Mum, Nans, aunts or cousins ) sewed, cooked or gardened ( begs the question... what did they do?? ) We didn't do any sewing or cookery ( or gardening ) at school so I came very late to everything. In fact  I only came to hobbies after I stopped working and relinquished my 12hr working days . That was when I was 55 and my kids were grown up ( spent all their childhood / youth at various footy, cricket, hockey and rugby grounds  -< ) Since then I've been a bit of a magpie ( or kid in a sweetshop ) It's a pity that I have never excelled at anything I've tried.... but.... who knows????? Time is still on my side.... I'm only 71  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 15:56:43 PM »
Could you just do your own raglan using basic measurements? You can add cabling too but I've made a few jumpers like this with no pattern - raglan also easier and the sleeves don't need to "fit" correctly.

Regrettably @Francesca I think I would have to be stuck in a prison cell with absolutely nothing to do before I would  go back to it.  The only reason it has not gone to the Sally Army is because of the meagre chance I might go back to it.

January is the month of the clear out, I'll have another look and decide.  I've never had patience with rescues, unless they have four legs, a soft coat and a tail. :meow:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

arrow

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 16:32:37 PM »
You can always change your mind later on, even getting a new machine if needed. I know two cases where someone got rid of their cast iron straight stitcher, a 201 and I think other one was a Husqvarna. A few years later they both regretted it terribly and tracked down the same model again. Some of us pack up the old machine and store them in a cupboard for safe keeping. It's fine whatever you choose, you don't have to do machine embroidery all your life :- )

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 16:35:24 PM »
@jesster I was lucky enough to have use of a basement in the house that I shared.  I think I might have viewed things differently if I had had to go somewhere for a limited time slot or black out the bathroom and set up each time I wanted to do something.
@Lowena you produce some beautiful things so you've certainly made up for lost time.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 19:26:35 PM »
You can always change your mind later on, even getting a new machine if needed. I know two cases where someone got rid of their cast iron straight stitcher, a 201 and I think other one was a Husqvarna. A few years later they both regretted it terribly and tracked down the same model again. Some of us pack up the old machine and store them in a cupboard for safe keeping. It's fine whatever you choose, you don't have to do machine embroidery all your life :- )

Love this I feel everyone has given me permission to stop machine embroidery, it really is a relief, just need to sort everything out.  Thank you all

mudcat

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 20:11:06 PM »
In the past I've done sewing, knitting, jewelry making, cross-stitch, and surface design (dyeing, stamping, resist, painting on fabric) but when I started learning Italian I gave up everything for a long time because of time constraints.  I still have all of my dye supplies and when I retire (and the last pet is gone) I'll take it up again.  I have two bins of PFD fabric that needs dyeing and/or other surface design.   My knitting was short-lived because it hurt my hands too much.  I only did cross-stitch a few times and found it too tedious. 

I want to weave and will probably take that up in retirement. I watched some weaving classes on a free Craftsy day and was all ready to buy but procrastination helped lose the urge for now.  I am sort of interested in machine knitting but I'll probably give it a pass.  I took a few jewelry making classes at a local bead shop and my techniques are much better now.  I mostly want to make bracelets since I have tiny wrists and it's hard to buy stuff in shops as they are usually too big.   

I've never wanted to embroider and it's funny because when I bought my Viking #1 20 some years ago I got a lot of incredulous feedback about why I didn't get the 1+.  I've used some of the fancy stitches on non garments and I've used the lettering to write a name for the back of a quilt but that's about it. Before I retire I plan to buy a coverstitch machine and I sort of want one of those sashiko machines but I will try to find a used one because they're a bit spendy.

At the moment, I'm dabbling in sewing and jewelry making.  However in retirement I will have more time for adding surface design and weaving which should be sufficient for my golden years.  :D

Ultimately, we should do what makes us happy and get rid of the rest.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 20:12:57 PM by mudcat »

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
Thank you @Ploshkin  :|  you are very kind  :angel:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

KayK

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
I sold my embroidery machine earlier in the year to fund a new saddle, but I do miss it.  It was an older one and a bit out of date technology wise, but I think I would still like another one.  I did jewellery making too, hand embroidery (not bad at that) knitting (hopeless) crochet (equally hopeless) Rosette making  - good at it, started making them for money but people want summat for nowt....so no profit in it!  I did horse rug mending but never again.  Still like to buy 'cheap' old sewing machines to try and get the best out of them, but had two failures (both Singer Touch and Sews with useless plastic gears)..........I think i'll just stick to sewing!  Still, when I was a small child my neighbour had a knitting machine and I was fascinated, but I bet they are a whatnot to use!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well