The Sewing Place

I do not want to Machine embroider

Greybird

Re: I do not want to Machine embroider
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
Knitting machines can be a "whatnot to use". People who take it up generally fall into two camps - those who get completely hooked (sorry about the pun!) and those who push the machine under the bed and never get it out again. I was in the first group and it filled all the available spaces in my life - to the extent that I was offered a job as a Knitmaster demonstrator in Harrods. It came at a critical point in my life and was the saving of me. Unfortunately, for several years I have been unable to have my machines set up anywhere, but I live in hopes - one day.............!

Ploshkin

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 16:03:13 PM »
I used to machine knit but stopped when I moved because I had nowhere to leave it permanently set up.  It's probably different now with everything co.computerised but I loved the fact that at that time it was entirely mechanical and I could understand how it worked.  If there was a problem I could work it out myself.  Much as I enjoyed it I wouldn't want to take it up again.
Life's too short for ironing.

Theresa in Tucson

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 14:23:36 PM »
If you need permission to "not machine embroider" you have it.  I've never felt the urge to do that.  I grew up with hand embroidery and then being in the military, machine embroidery always seemed to me as "look what he brought me back from Korea" items. Hobbies should give you joy.

WendyW

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 15:59:51 PM »
I'm with you Celia! No desire whatsoever for machine embroidery! I never had that urge, so thankfully don't have to ditch anything. I have yet to sew an item that makes me desire embroidery, and if I ever do, I know at least 2 people that will let me come play with their machines.

However, i DO have a sewing room FULL to the gills with supplies that need sorting. And the fabric keeps coming.

crafter

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 16:38:51 PM »
I've never wanted to machine embroider except for the odd lettering.  It's not sewing to me.

In fact, I have just had a lucky escape.  The hotel I worked at as a Craft Tutor has recently bought a dozen Brother embroidery machines.  I know these would have been my responsibility being one of the few tutors that sewed.  In fact I was always suggesting sewing lessons as a class but they would go no further than EPP.

My poor daughter who still works there (and doesn't sew) is pulling her hair out with having to take the classes.  They have a selection of pre made stuff  (bibs, t shirts, etc) and select what they want embroidered on it.  Its the tutors job to thread up the machine and get it started and then off it chugs.  Most participants (about 10 at a time) leave the class out of boredom and the tutor is left with a dozen machines chugging away for a couple of hours.  Often taking them beyond their working hours.  Hell!

Efemera

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 20:36:43 PM »
Many moons ago, around 1990 I bought a Pfaff Creative which cost me £3000.. I had visions of digitising all kinds of stuff...... did I...no I didn’t, I don’t think I embroidered anything. I didn’t like the designs you could buy, I wanted funky stuff not twee stuff. DD used it for her degree course and is still using it now. I don’t want to machine embroider either!

Efemera

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 20:48:16 PM »
That’s what I thought ...I didn’t have the patience, I wanted stuff there and then...not much has changed.

Acorn

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 20:53:10 PM »
There is a lot of twee stuff out there, but Urban Threads (quirky, trendy, gothic etc) and  Embroidery Library (a vast range - some twee, most not) are great - and I recently discovered Royal Present who have more traditional, classic stuff, but very high quality, and not at all twee.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 21:53:24 PM »
It would - it's such an excellent drawing as well.

I've just finished putting these dragonflies onto a shirt, only with a dark blue outline.

Efemera

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2019, 21:57:17 PM »
Things have certainly moved on...

Lachica

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2019, 22:49:07 PM »
I second Urban Threads. I think they may have amalgamated with Embroidery library as the websites look very similar. I thought I'd digitise my own designs & have the software which came with my machine, but I have no desire to. I'm happy to buy a tried &tested design for a couple of dollars.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Celia

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 22:54:40 PM »
I am still happy teaching the embroidery machine and also the software, I think on a personal level I love hand embroidery and some of the beautiful old techniques and if I do things by machine it is too quick.  I love slow crafts like knitting, beading and hand embroidery.  Sewing is usually for me quick dressmaking things, I work mainly in stretch fabric as that is what I like to wear.
those dragonfly’s @Acorn are lovely though.
I think it’s guilt at not using my machienough that doesn’t help.

I do love to see what other people want to do and you have all made me feel much better about my decision.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 00:11:00 AM »
I second Urban Threads. I think they may have amalgamated with Embroidery library as the websites look very similar. I thought I'd digitise my own designs & have the software which came with my machine, but I have no desire to. I'm happy to buy a tried &tested design for a couple of dollars.

Billed as sister companies now. In the beginning IIRC the gal who runs UT was an intern at EL and had the idea for more contemporary, edgy designs and was encouraged to go for it. They use the same digitizing stuff and obviously same web people.  :D

Celia, I get where you are coming from. You have nice equipment and feel a bit silly for having all that sunk money and not be wanting to use it, especially as you also have the knowledge and skill to teach the rest of us. It's perfectly understandable but nothing to give yourself grief over. It's also perfectly fine to keep the fancy sewing & embroidery combo and only use the sewing part. Most of us utilize only a tiny bit of what our sewing machines can do anyway.

I'll talk about my ME exploits later. Cough. Maybe I'll dust off the thread first. IF I can remember where it is. And I love everything I embroidered! All 3 things.........!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 09:14:41 AM »
I love hand embroidery - it's probably my first love sewing-wise - but I see machine embroidery as something else entirely.  It's more functional for one thing!

For example, if I had hand embroidered the hot water bottle covers for my Mum she would not have used them, because they would have got damaged.  The machine embroidery is much tougher, and much less precious, so she can use them properly. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 15:57:11 PM »
Just love those otters on the cover, did you digitise them yourself?  @Acorn It is good to understand why you machine embroidery and hand embroidery.

I have just looked at embroidery library for the first time in a long time and was suprised to see some different things, for a long time I have been tied to one sewing machine company for quite a while.

I think I will keep the machine and try not to feel guilty as it is a wonderful sewing machine unless I find someone who really wants it and can pay a good but fair price for it.