The Sewing Place

I do not want to Machine embroider

Acorn

Re: I do not want to Machine embroider
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2019, 16:01:10 PM »
The otters are an Embroidery Library design.  I have done virtually no digitising myself - I only have the free Premier+ software that came with my machine, and I quickly decided that I didn't really want to make my own designs - especially not at the price of the full software!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2019, 18:50:20 PM »
Acorn stop tempting me to change my mind  :devil:  your work is lovely

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2019, 19:47:22 PM »
Acorn stop tempting me to change my mind  :devil:  your work is lovely

I would suggest you keep the machine, as it is already a sunk cost, especially when you add in the extras, like thread and stabilizers, unless you need the space they take up or the money you would generate from the sale. In which case, move them on out of there and don't look back!

As I said before we almost all have multiple features and stitches on our machines that we never use. But they are there if we ever choose to use them. You and I just happen to have embroidery modules we don't use.  :D If a few years down the road something possesses us to ME we are ready.

Mine is a smallish Brother SE 400 combo machine limited to a 4" x 4" field. I was shopping for a new machine, just looking about, wanting a computerised machine for the first time. One night at an all nighter at the local quilt shop a gal had one of these. She insisted I sit and sew. It purrs. The stitching is brilliant on it. Has a zillion buttonholes. And, by the way, it machine embroiders, which she had never used and couldn't tell me about. I checked them out online and it sounded good and price was fair, USD $399 at the time. I thought about it for some months, maybe a year, and would occasionally look at one in a shop. One day I looked and they had reduced them for clearance the day before, now only $299 USD. Brought one home the next day.  Next day did a red work embroidery on a shirt. Embroidered a bouquet of flowers over a shirt pocket the next day. I had just enough variety of ME threads to make it work. Then I found Urban Threads that week with a site wide 50% off sale. I used 2 of those designs on a project, never finished and......haven't done a stitch since. That was in 2013.

Occasionally on sales days I would pick up more thread, so I could probably do most of the designs I bought and for several years I went to monthly meetings of a Machine Embroidery group and still, nothing. Two of those gals do ME every single day.  >< But I don't feel guilty about it. I just stopped buying thread for it. I do occasionally look at UT or EmLibrary to see what the current free designs are. I also download every size, just in case I ever get a machine with a larger field.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 22:48:25 PM »
@Celia - You must not feel guilty about your machine its sounds like its had lots of good use already, just because it cost money doesn't mean you have to use it for the rest of your life.  Some people buy brand new cars and change them every couple of years and loose thousands on them and I'm sure thoughts of guilt don't even come into it.  When I want something sewing related I always have to think hard about it as we don't have much disposable income.  DH pays for a Sky TV package which I don't use at all, I calculate the yearly cost of Sky its way more than what I ever want to buy  and any thoughts of guilt soon disappear  ;).  Having said that I want to change my Janome coverstitch machine as its just 'fussy' not broken. I have had it a long time and would like a Juki or Babylock coverstitch but don't feel I should/deserve/justify a new one and would feel so guilty  :'(

Celia

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
Just a quick update, I have sorted out a lot of my sewing tings and really am getting to terms with what I want/like to sew. I am going to pack my embroidery machine away, I am storing it at a friends place, so out of the way and out of site, if I manage fine with the machines I have left them I will try to sell it.

I still feel it is too good a machine for it to be left unused, I am sure someone would love it more than me, also it is still worth quite a bit of money at the moment whereas in a few years it probably wouldn't.  Although I work in this field I have not used it a lot as I have always had other machines to sew on and most of the embroidery I have done in the last couple of years has been done on the machine where I work.
Now the question is will I be happy with the machines I have left? :devil:

I am also sorting out all the extras that go with the embroidery, threads stabilisers extra hoops etc.  I also have some machine knitting things to deal with but that's another day.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2019, 18:53:09 PM »
This sounds like a good alternative to getting rid of it outright. Sellers remorse is just as bad as buyers remorse. Perhaps give your self a time limit that's sensible. I'm thinking 6 months to a year, but pick what feels best. Mark it on the calendar that it'a time to remove the machine if it hasn't been used.

Of course you do know that if and when you sell it you will want to use it within the next 2 weeks. Always happens to me. Have something for years then "need" it right after getting rid of it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.