The Sewing Place

Wooden Pressing Tools

Elnnina

Wooden Pressing Tools
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »
I received an e-mail today from a place called Islander Sewing Systems in the USA (they recently took on selling Connie Crawford’s patterns and books) and today’s e-mail had details of a sale of their wooden pressing tools and there is a five minute video to watch on how to use them.

Now only a week or so ago I suggested to Sonatine and SewRuthieSews  the use of a clapper, and an alternative to a clapper was to use a wooden rolling pin.  Well if you go on to Islander’s web site and can find this video link – it is called Pressing Matters she is showing how to use the point presser (this often comes as a combined point presser and clapper), and  a clapper on its own, she is also using a long piece of half round wood stick which she  has called a  Seam Solution – this a is strip of half round wood 24” in length and she is showing how you would use it for pressing open the seam on trousers.  By the way she mentions that the wood used in these gadgets is hard wood.

I just thought this would be interesting for those who are venturing into coat making.  Interestingly she also mentions how when pressing a piece of poly crepe that despite using a steam iron the crease does not hold, so she tried using the clapper on this and what a difference.

Renegade Sewist

Re: Wooden Pressing Tools
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 22:34:53 PM »
Link for the videos. If you look up "strip stick" or "seam stick" you'll see two other variants. You can easily make your own using 1/2 round hardwood molding 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches diameter. Hardwood resists the grain being raised from the steam, warping and doesn't release sap onto your projects like pine or fir might do. Quilters use them too. Some have a little padded muslin cover.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.