The Sewing Place

interfacing question

Tessynutty

interfacing question
« on: December 15, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this?

I cant find information on the correct fusable interfacing to use
is it just a matter of personal choice?
I would be grateful if someone could advise me

I want to make some applique gifts and ornaments
I believe I need double sided fusing to stick material to material
some of the designs will include felt and denim,
others will include 100% cotton quilting materials :flower: :woof: :meow:
i dont need the result to be stiffer than the material naturally is
after fusing I will then hand sew sew around with blanket stich
or a different decorative stitch :thread:

can anyone suggest a brand available in the UK
that I should look for please

sewmuchmore

Re: interfacing question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:09:55 AM »
have a look at this site.
As for brand that is down to personal choice. The most well known is Vilene here but there are cheaper alternatives. My local fabric shop has its own and I buy a lot from Minerva. I have bought the budget range and found it ok. I usually buy light weight and medium weight and if I need anything heavier combine the two.
The double sided is fuse a web or bond a web from here
Hope this helps.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
I use Bondaweb - easy to find and plenty of YouTubes and tutorials on how to apply it.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 22:00:00 PM »
Interfacing (fusible or non-fusible) is an additional layer of fabric which remains in the finished item to support and strengthen it.  It is applied to the wrong side of the main fabric and is commonly used in collars, cuffs, button bands etc.  The fusible versions consist of a layer of (non woven) fabric with glue on one side which is placed to the WS of the fabric and heated with a steam iron to melt the glue.

The stuff that's used to stick two layers of fabric together isn't interfacing it's a fusible web and adds very little to the combined weight of the two layers.  It consists of a very fine web impregnated with glue and has a paper backing.  The web/glue side is applied to the WS of one fabric and fused by ironing over the paper which is then pulled away leaving the glue on the fabric.  The second fabric is then placed over the glue and it is heated again to fuse the two fabric together.

Have a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35NgfVRtGKo
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mammafairy

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
For some fabrics the glue on the Bondaweb, or other fusible web may show through, but for most things they are great. If you are cutting something intricate, fuse onto the applique fabric first, and then cut out.