The Sewing Place

Finishing off bookmark ends?

doesntworkonwood

Finishing off bookmark ends?
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
Hello friends!

It's been a while since I posted here, as I haven't really had the time to sew much. As I'm currently on holiday from University, I thought I'd get back into it by making myself a cover for the planner I'll be using next year. I'm quite proud if it, despite my drafting not being entirely up to scratch (I was going to edgestitch around it, so I added an extra 0.5cm SA but somehow that's disappeared. If anyone can tell me why, I'd appreciate it!).

The problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to finish the ends of the bookmarks I made. I was going to use ribbon, but I didn't have any suitable ribbon in my stash. Instead I used the same fabric as the lining and created a straight grain binding that I sewed closed. The problem I'm having is that  I don't know how to finish the ends. I was going to use some embroidery floss and a buttonhole stich, but I don't think that's going to work as they're quite thin. I'd love to here your ideas. I've attached a picture so that you know what I'm talking about.

Greybird

Re: Finishing off bookmark ends?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
I would just machine stitch across twice and then cut it close to the stitching.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »

You might touch it with clear nail polish if it's very frayey after @Greybird's method. Or machine stitch across not too close to the end and create a fringe...

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
Yes - if it will fray easily I would machine across and fray it deliberately, if not then machining and cutting it close would be fine (also - Fray-Stop?  I've never used it, but it sounds useful!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »
Ooh - also, if you just cut it diagonally (maybe without even stitching it) it shouldn't fray, unless it's a very fray-y fabric.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:28:26 PM »
Or these.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 13:01:54 PM »
Tie a knot and call it a design feature.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 22:08:20 PM »
Probably too late now but a layer of Bondaweb in the middle should allow you to cut, preferably on the diagonal, without it fraying.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
Isnt there a foot on most medium to expensive machines to create fringing ????

Im sure Ive seen something like that in The Splurgesses destruction booklet
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 09:38:42 AM »
I think I'm going to go down the stitch and fray method. Because of the way I made the bookmarks, as it's essentially four layers of fabric, the fraying should look quite nice and full!