The Sewing Place

Jaycotts

Acorn

Jaycotts
« on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »
Well, lots of us know that Jaycotts are wonderful, but I still needed to say it again.

I'm embroidering napkins for Christmas Day, and was running out of a crucial (and fairly uncommon) colour of thread.  I placed an order with Jaycotts at 1.42pm yesterday, and it arrived today - before I actually ran out!

And I didn't ask them to speed the order or tell them it was urgent, or anything like that.  It was just a normal order, with normal postage (free, as I ordered over £25-worth of stuff, but it would only have been £1.50 if I had ordered less).

And, of course, their stock range is fantastic.   0_0

Must get back to embroidering those stars...  :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Jaycotts
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 13:06:00 PM »
Jaycotts are my go-to on-line store, very good service.

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 13:11:54 PM »
I'm a fan too.  Sometimes it takes a little while for the order to arrive but generally it's here the day after I place it.  And I prefer the way the patterns are laid out on screen too.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 13:30:23 PM »
I agree - I find they are often cheapest for patterns too

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 16:04:21 PM »
Totally agree, I've been short of the right coloured zip (amongst the many I have 'on stock') and before I've reached that stage it has arrived.  Trouble is I can never order one zip, if they have something reduced you can guarantee I will be lured.  Last time it was a much reduced storage box, which I must admit was well worth the money and is very substantial.

Since I've cancelled my Sew Direct membership because of incompetence to existing customers, I might start using Jaycotts for my patterns.  I don't get that many now and even they have good discounts.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 16:10:40 PM »
Jaycotts are my first port of call for patterns, and also for habby as their turn around time is always very quick.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 00:16:42 AM »
I'm a regular online customer too. A few days ago I took the opportunity to visit their showroom as we were up in Chester visiting my SIL. ! I got the impression that there was only a fraction of their online stock in the shop but I could be wrong. I couldn't think of anything I wanted apart from a Clover grading ruler (which they don't stock) so did I come out empty handed - well what do you think?

Finger pin cushion, soft comfort thimble and tube turners   - all Prym.

Friendly chap in the store, left me to browse while he nipped off to continue the Christmas stock check but popped back regularly to see if I needed assistance. Had an interesting chat about machine embroidery in general without any pressure to show me specific machines.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 20:25:26 PM »
@Marniesews - or anyone else - you didn't happen to notice whether they have a wide range of machine embroidery threads in the showroom did you?  I'll be in the area in a few of months and I've never had the opportunity to choose machine embroidery thread in the flesh rather than making best guesses online!

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 23:46:19 PM »
@Acorn, they certainly did have embroidery threads but I can't say how extensive as it's not something I look for, not having an embroidery machine.

The biggest range of threads of all types that I've ever seen in a B&M shop was most likely at Empress Mills but it's over an hour away.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
Thanks @Marniesews - that's definitely one for the longer term planning!  At some point we will be doing a trip that goes from mid Wales up to the Wirral, and then diagonally across to the Whitby area.  There's soooo much to include in that one!!  :D  Unfortunately it probably won't be this year... although it is possible... hmmm...