The Sewing Place

Help! Need a double ended Parka zip

Lachica

Help! Need a double ended Parka zip
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »
I'm freezing! The zip pull has come off, I need to buy a replacement zip pronto. Local b&M shops don't have any. It's double ended, so can be unzipped from bottom. Can anyone suggest a supplier please? I've searched eBay, found the perfect one in the US but they don't ship to U.K.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Nevis5

Re: Help! Need a double ended Parka zip
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »
Have you looked at Point North?  https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collections/lifestyle-zipping-velcro-open-ended-chain-heavy-weight  - not sure what weight of zip you need but they have various shapes/sizes.

Vezelay

Stitches

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
Try Jaycotts

Kad

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
Empress Mills always has a good selection of chunky and metal zips. Might be worth a look. Good luck with your quest, I too have a parka type coat whose zip still works but is worn, so regularly gets stuck but I just can't face replacing it - all those lines of stitching, all that unpicking  :S
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
Thanks everyone! Should have asked on here first. Ordered from Jaycotts, wish me luck, I'm starting the unpicking now :S
Mary

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
I replaced one for a friend (of Terry's) a couple of weeks ago.  I ordered from Jaycotts and it arrived very quickly.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Holly Berry

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
If the zip is ok and only the pull/slider has come off you can replace them.

They can be a bit pricey, but when compared to the effort of replacing the zip it may be worth it. Just google replacement zip pull/slider. There are loads.
Procrastination get behind me

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 14:04:27 PM »
Thanks @Holly Berry, I'll look into that.
Mary

Sewbusy

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 17:39:31 PM »
Lots on eBay, they call them Two Way Open End.

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 18:59:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I got a replacement zip from Jaycotts, it arrived quickly. I decided not to do a proper repair, ie unpick as the coat has storm flaps and zip shields and it would have taken forever. I cut the old zip teeth off and stitched the new one onto the flaps. From the outside it looks fine, there's a bit of a ridge on the inside but I'm the only one who'll see that. Bring on the bad weather!!
Mary

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 19:15:55 PM »
Ooh, sounds like an excellent bodge, well done  0_0